108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL580 G1 Processor Upgrade

SOLVED
Go to solution
Travis Zukoski
Occasional Advisor

DL580 G1 Processor Upgrade

Hello. I'm trying to install PIII 900Mhz 2M Xeons in my DL580 G1 and can't get it to post. I've installed all four. Is there a setting that needs to be changed in order for the machine to recognize the 900's? Thank you!
14 REPLIES 14
seehigh
Advisor
Solution

Do you have any LED ?

The fans are spinning? there is power comming in to the server ?

and also try to boot with one CPU then 2 then 3 then 4 ....also try to test every single processor and a BIOS update will be great....(obviously as soonest as it POSTs)
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Are you using the HP listed part?

Pentium III Xeon X900-2MB Processor Option Kit - 222627-B21
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi Travis

let me ask you.

you already had PIII 900Mhz 2M Xeon in that server and your adding 1 - 2 - or 3 more of them?? and when you do that you're getting no post

or

or that server had others Processors (different ones) and your adding these new 4 Proc??

--------
in any of both scenarios update the System BIOS for your system

---
for both scenarios what if you add 1 Proc you got video?

what if add the second one? you got video?

and so on

test one proc at a time

regards

Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Travis Zukoski
Occasional Advisor

Thank you all so much for the quick replies. To update first, I did get the server to show all 4 processors initialized, but then after checking the ram it halted on an 805 unsupported processor detected. I have been running the P20 bios for quite some time now, so I don't think it would be that. Now I'm really confused. Also, I can't get the server to come on with less than four cpu's installed, so the one at a time test is out. When less than four processors are installed, one amber light blinks on the front panel. Put all in and it's solid. Turn it on, all three are green. It still works great with four 700's but no luck with the 900's.

Karlo: I started out with 4 700's and tried to upgrade to 4 900's.

vcespon: I'm not sure how you tell if these are actually "Pentium III Xeon X900-2MB Processor Option Kit - 222627-B21". Their markings do show that they are "900/100/2M S2 5/12V". I will also list the individual markings below.

1. 12260001-0026 SL4XZ Compaq Sticker 091021
2. 12260051-0102 SL4XZ Compaq Sticker 091021
3. 12150088-0010 SL4XZ Compaq Sticker 277991
4. 12160009-0150 SL4XZ Compaq Sticker 268011

seehigh: Everything lights up, powers up, works fine now, except the 805 halt.

I can't understand why I would have to buy specific versions of the 900's. The 700's were in sealed retail packages when I bought them (on ebay), not specifically linked to the machine. Anyway, it's late and I'm rambling. Again, thank you all so much for you help. Any further insights are -extremely- appreciated. Thanks!
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

yes P20 is the last version but if you check this link they are from different dates :

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=341567&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=341566&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1005#12212

in case you don't the latest update it but with the 700 Proc in the System board

regards
Travis Zukoski
Occasional Advisor

Heh... If it ain't broke don't fix it... So, I got the online rom flash component, it told me I already had that version but I could install it anyway if I liked. I did, rebooted, and now processor slot 2 works, but all 3 other slots fail. This actually goes for the 700's and the 900's. Now, one of the 900's does work in slot 2, but as I said, all others fail. I think I could scream. I don't know what I did. Thanks for your help!
Travis Zukoski
Occasional Advisor

I just looked at my reply and it seemed as if I was coming off rude, which was not my intention. I do truly appreciate any and all help/advice. I just always manage to box myself into a corner with problem after problem. Again, I didn't mean for that to sound snide, I greatly value your knowledge!
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

I really dont understand this:

"I did, rebooted, and now processor slot 2 works, but all 3 other slots fail. This actually goes for the 700's and the 900's. Now, one of the 900's does work in slot 2, but as I said, all others fail."

what do you mean by in slot 2 Proc works????
would you mind explain that scenario again

don't assign points until we get something OK

Travis Zukoski
Occasional Advisor

Power on > Compaq Proliant screen > Ram gets initialized at the top of the screen, below that is where it shows what processors have initialized. It now shows that the processor in slot 2 (and this happens no matter what processor I insert into that slot) has initialized, and when it finishes checking the ram it shows that processors 1, 3, and 4 fail. Like I said, no matter which processor I put in slot two, that one works, but none of the other processor slots seem to work now.