ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748089 Members
4835 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL580 G1 does not boot/post no video

Ned Logan

DL580 G1 does not boot/post no video

I have a DL580R01 that does not boot/post and has no video. I have replaced all four CPU's, the memory card with memory, the power supply, the IO board from a working DL580R01 that works fine and still no boot, no video. I have also reduced to a minimum state by pulling the hard drives, disconnecting the FDD & CD-ROM and disconnecting the SCSI backplane cable from the IO board and still no boot, no video.
Is there anything left besides the system board? Why is this server giving me such a hard time? :)
Thanks,

Ned
5 REPLIES 5
Tarek Kawach
Honored Contributor

Re: DL580 G1 does not boot/post no video

Hi Ned:

- How many processors; have you swapped procs. are all fans turning, powersupply leds okay; checked the interlock Leds on the board for failures.

Peripheral Board spare part # 101951-001
- this is where the video card, nic, scsi cards are located.

- normally no video ; possible that the processor is not initialized; so swap processors and possible could be system board issue.

- Make sure all fans are runing; and cdrom led flash and goes away.

- I would try a peripheral board first.

- There is interlocks on the main board and also on the perf. board (should be "00")

-interlock on main board all leds should be off;
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Memory Board On On On On On On On
Processor 1 Off On On On On On On
Processor 2 Off Off On On On On On
Processor 3 Off Off Off On On On On
Processor 4 Off Off Off Off On On On
Peripheral Board Off Off Off Off Off On On
P/S Backplane Off Off Off Off Off Off On
No Error Off Off Off Off Off Off Off

Best regards,

Tarek.
Hey, look a light at the end of the tunnel.
Jason Fothergill
Occasional Advisor

Also check the cables going from the psu backplane to the mainboard. The female pins on spread and cause the problem you are having.
Andy Derrick

Ned,

Do your fans turn on at all? we have a dl 580 that powers the fans up for 1-2 seconds then powers down again, then back on again - but we get no POST and no video only a brief flashing red led near where the PSU backplane connects to the motherboard near r575 is this your symptoms?
Ned Logan

I was able to swap parts from a working DL580 and the problem turned out to be the system board.
Ian Doyle

I have experienced a problem similar to this too. One day my DL580 lost connections to the Raid Array Unit and I rebooted, to find a PCI Boot Error.

The server would not boot up until I replaced the Standard Peripheral board.

It has just gone again, after only 3 months.

Does anybody know what this might be?