ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753781 Members
7524 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL580 G2 Fan Question

Frequent Advisor

DL580 G2 Fan Question

I have a customer who has a Proliant DL580 G2, with all its 7 redundant fans. The customer created a service call because of the Fan4 (Cooling Memory Zone), which is not spinning.

I went to customer's site and checked the server, found that Fan4's led was on green, but didn't spin. I pulled out fan4 and then replaced it, the fan spun for a few seconds and then stopped.

I have searched among many HP's documents about the PL DL580 G2 and haven't found anything about this issue.

Does anybody know if these redundant fans on the same cooling zone work togheter or if one is working and the other is in a kind of stand by mode?

Thanks,

Javier
2 REPLIES 2
Xteven
Advisor

Re: DL580 G2 Fan Question

IF the server has all the fans connected (7) 3 of those are going to be the redundant fan BUT even if all the 7 fans are connected all of them must be spinning in some cases the server do not turn on the amber led in the fan because could be a problem with the connector in the fan that is why the fan is not spinning and the LED stay green and not amber.
Try to swap the fan with another one and if that does not correct the problem replace the fan.
xteven
Xteven
Advisor

Re: DL580 G2 Fan Question

Also just to double check, remove 3 of the working fans; that is going to put the other fans at maximum speed because that is the minimum configuration.
That way u can check if the fan is working properly.
xteven