5809 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL580 G2: IDE Harddrive or any other solution

rmareddi
Occasional Contributor

DL580 G2: IDE Harddrive or any other solution

Hello,

I have a DL580 G2 server and it has 4 hard disks in iSCSI Controller. I need to add more space to it. I am wondering if I can add an internal disk like 500GB Western Digital?

If this isn't possible, any other way of adding more disk space to it rather than upgrading 4 scsi drives ? I know performance will not be so great as SCSI drives but I need some cheap disk space to have installers and dumps.

Thanks a ton!!!
4 REPLIES 4
wobbe
Respected Contributor

The cdrom player probably uses an ide controller that would support an ide drive.
If the cdrom player in a dl580 g2 is still a full size cd player you might be able to mount an harddisk in it's place using a few backets.
But hooking up an sata disk to an esata controller might be a better sollution.
TTr
Honored Contributor

There is physically no room to install a hard disk in this server. Unless you open it up and find room and mount it somehow which I don't recommend. The CD/floppy bays are slimline bays so I doubt anything would fit there.

I would look for an external solution. An external disk enclosure or disk pack with SAS, SATA, eSATA USB or SCSI interfaces. You would need to verify support for the specific interface in the server hardware and in the OS that you are running.

I would look for a USB solution first. It requires only a USB disk pack and USB support in the server environment.

Next I would look in to an eSATA solution. You would need an eSATA disk pack and an eSATA controller. The server has PCI-X 100MHz expansion slots and there are controllers available.

Officially HP supports SCSI controllers with external connectors, http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11372_ca/11372_ca.HTML
rmareddi
Occasional Contributor

That's right.. it has slimline CD-ROM. It doesn't have esata port either. So, I need to buy and install it separately..next question is what the right one is.
wobbe
Respected Contributor

I bought this cheap pci esata controller for an DL360G3 an hooked it to an external 1.5TB disk. I use it to make backups to disk in the weekend when there is no one to change the tapes. I has been weerking flawlessly for the last 6 months.
And pci can be used in a pci-x slot.

http://www.bechtle.nl/shop/product/detail;jsessionid=649c4dd9da7f4d97df2fbb2c575d1eca3ccf5cadb2250baefd76abe914251aef?bundlepart=true&link=pnjldfmicfealnmmjjidkplndckc&diogenesSource=&sessionId=649c4dd9da7f4d97df2fbb2c575d1eca3ccf5cadb2250baefd76abe914251aef&i=pn2&newFE=true