1753969 Members
7004 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL580 G2 Missing RAM

Nathan Thorpe

DL580 G2 Missing RAM

I have 2 DL580 serves currently in service which have the following RAM configuration:

4x 512MB Dimms
4x 1GB Dimms

All on a single memory board. Obviously totalling 6GB system RAM.

Now, these machines only report 5.5GB of RAM from within Win2003 SP1. In fact during POST the machines identify 6GB correctly but during the RAM initialisation the count tops out at 5.5GB

Does anybody have any ideas where my missing 512MB is? I need to double the amount of system RAM in these machines so obviously need to resolve this prior to moving forward with that.

TIA

Nathan
2 REPLIES 2
Rajashekar Chintakunta
Honored Contributor

Re: DL580 G2 Missing RAM

Hi Nathan Thorpe,

The following CUSTOMER NOTICE might help you to figure out what is going on.

Determining Memory Allocation In A ProLiant Server With PCI Device Support And At Least 4-GB Of System Memory:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=PSD_CN0409W

Regards,
Raj.
ramesh_naik_
Esteemed Contributor

Re: DL580 G2 Missing RAM

Hi Nathan,

The maximum amount of physical memory that will be available to the operating system and applications is in part determined by the following criteria:

* The number and types of PCI devices installed in the system.
* Support for PCI Hot Plug capability. (PCI Hot Plug reserves additional memory to facilitate swapping of devices without bringing the entire system down).
* Processor support and server chipset design.

This memory reservation scheme is mandated by adherence to the PCI specification and the Intel x86 server architecture design, which are industry standards.

The ProLiant DL580 G2 system board is designed around the ServerWorks HE Grand Champion chipset. It is the feature of the chipset rather than an issue with the memory or the system board.

So no need to panic!!!

Try updating the system ROM to the latest ans see whether we could get the optimal performance.
System ROM update is available here:
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/21950.html

Hope this explains!!!!

Regards,
rmn