4201 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

DL580 G2 - Netware 6

Charles Peechumuthu
Contributor

DL580 G2 - Netware 6

Hello,
We have Proliant DL580 G2 with smart array 5i attached to two 72 GB hd mirrored. It is running Netware 6.0SP5.
It has also a Tape Drive DLT VS80 attached to the SCSI HA.
Groupwise 5.5 and Arcserve 9.01 is installed and running on the system.
Today the system halted (with a blank screen) and all users lost connection to the server.
The console screen was blank, HD LED's were solid green on both drives (normally they blink indicating access to the drive). We could not change console screen to other running NLMs like GW or Arc Serve.
Just before this happened, when we tried to access the tape drive via Arcserve Tape management screen it complained DEVICE NOT OPEN, but we were able to close the error box and get back to other console screens and utilization was around 4%.
We had to power cycle the server to get it back to work (I didnt know about shift-shift-ctl-esc key sequence which probably works in most of these situations to debug). On power cycling the abend log, sys$log.err, health log none of them has recorded any error message.
Is it possible any way to find out what happened ? SCSI problem, NLM (GW Or Arcserve ..) ?
Any help in figuring out what hapened is greatly appreciated

thanks
charles
1 REPLY 1
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Re: DL580 G2 - Netware 6

Charles,

If there is an underlying hardware problem you may be able to view the entries in the Integrated Management Log using the IML viewer (If you have it installed). Type LOAD CPQIML from the console and see if it loads. If it doesn't load then install the IML viewer from the following link and run it. This will allow you to view hardware and abend related issues although some like the network link up/down messages can usually be ignored. Check the dates against each entry to make sure they are relevent to your problem.

I will assume that termination and general SCSI connection is OK to the VS80 and that it has been workign for a while.

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/21289.html

I hope this helps,

Brian