ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753647 Members
6057 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion

DL580 G2 to DL380 G3 or G4 (move drives)

Leo Squire_1
Occasional Contributor

DL580 G2 to DL380 G3 or G4 (move drives)

Greetings all--

I have a DL580G2 with a SmartArray controller in it. There are 4 internal drives, and 7 drives in an external enclosure all off a single SmartArray Controller (forget the model #, but has 4 external ports plus the internal ports).

We would like to essentially unplug the 4 internal drives and plug them into a DL380 G3 or DL380 G4 server, and then plug the external array onto the external port on the SmartArray controller on the new server.

Will this work 'data in place'? we are trying to reduce from a quad 1.6GHz box to a dual 3.xGhz box in a small form factor to save some rack space.

I think all smart array controllers will recogize prior generation RAID configurations, etc.

My next concern, this is a FreeBSD server. Will the OS flip out when it sees dual CPU and no longer quad CPU and kernel panic, or should it re-detect successfully and be OK without any kernel tweaking, etc.

Thank you for any help!
1 REPLY 1
TY 007
Honored Contributor

Re: DL580 G2 to DL380 G3 or G4 (move drives)

Hello,

>> Will the OS flip out when it sees dual CPU and no longer quad CPU and
>> kernel panic, or should it re-detect successfully and be OK without
>> any kernel tweaking, etc

# cat /proc/cpuinfo

Linux SMP Kernel should detect accordingly on the changes of Number of CPUs. It is the same if you have 2 unit of Dual Core CPUs & unplug 1 of them offline :)

Thanks