Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL580 G4 / Disk Drive / Controller card probs

kishanb
Occasional Contributor

DL580 G4 / Disk Drive / Controller card probs

Hello All & Greetings.

I am working on a bunch of NEW DL580 G4 Servers, which are to be deployed for VMWare ESX servers.

After I install the processors, etc., I install the controller card for the disk drive (in the upper slot, above the DVD drive). However, the system does NOT see the disk drive (a:) When I swap it with the DVD on top and the disk drive below it, the system sees the disk drive. But thats not useful: since it has to be bootable!

I tried this on a bunch of server boxes with a bunch of controller cards - surely, all (or, even a majority) of these controller cards cant be faulty. SO I suspect I am doing something incorrectly. Can someone help me with some pointers / resources to fix this problem, please. All help will be appreciated.

Thanks!

kishan

2 REPLIES
Víctor Cespón
Honored Contributor

Re: DL580 G4 / Disk Drive / Controller card probs

Are you using the floppy drive kit for this server model?
Slimline Floppy Diskette Drive Option - 390164-B21

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12473_na/12473_na.html
kishanb
Occasional Contributor

Re: DL580 G4 / Disk Drive / Controller card probs

Hello & Greetings.

I am using the floppy drive (but not 100%sure of the part # that you have given). I install the controller card which recognizes the floppy drive when it is installed below the DVD drive but then its not bootable ... so I am required to install it in the top drive. I am doing this to be able to deploy the server as a VMWare host. Also, I am using, most certainly, only the parts specified by HP. HTH ... to help me further.

thanks,

kishan