108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL580 G5 Firmware Question

SOLVED
Go to solution
ReneC
Visitor

DL580 G5 Firmware Question

I am planning to upgrade the following Server HP Proliant DL580 G5  running Netware 6.5  with  Bios Version P61 Release Date: 09/23/2008 to  the latest current version 9.30 (5  May, 2011).

1.  Is there a way I could obtain older copy (release date 09/23/2008) for backout purposes.

2. Could I simply boot my server using the CRITICAL  Systems ROMPAQ Firmware Upgrade  Version 2011.05.02 (A) 20 Jul 2011(SP53272.exe)  put on a CD  to upgrade my BIOS to the latest  or I need to put to  9.30 (5  May, 2011) prior?

Thanks!

ReneC

7 REPLIES 7
Abhishek Bangalore
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Hello,

I understand that you want to install the firmware on the server and also you requrie an older version of the same.

Please refer the link for the latest version of the firmware:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3454575&prodNameId=3562405&swEnvOID=1064&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-7b271a9347384bc1af7c848a83

Installation Instruction:

2.  From that drive and directory, execute the downloaded Enhanced SoftPaq file simply by double clicking on the SPxxxxx file and follow the installation wizard to complete the Enhanced SoftPaq installation process. At the end of a successful installation of the Enhanced SoftPaq, a web page will automatically appear to provide you with the different methods for restoring and/or upgrading the firmware on the system.

This Enhanced SoftPaq contains utilities that can be used to restore and/or update the system ROM on the HP ProLiant Server.

1.  Download the Enhanced SoftPaq to a directory on a system running Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Windows Vista, Microsoft Windows 7, Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Microsoft Windows Server 2008, or Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 and change to that directory.

The version for 9/23/2008 is provided below:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3454575&prodNameId=3562405&swEnvOID=1064&swLang=8&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-2d14b15a9bbc444c8bd31a690f&mode=3

Let me know if, you require any other details on the same.

Regards

Abhishek 

Help other's for Better Tomorrow

I am an HP Employee
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hey,
those instructions appear to be for windows, ReneC are running netware. I suppose you need a windows box to do something with the .exe file. Would be nice if it was possible to boot on a Firmware DVD - and put the old firmware on it in case you need to go back.

The firmware dvd is based on linux so you might need the linux version of the firmware (.scexe) when you put it on the firmware DVD.
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

1.) Most Proliant server models contain two copies of the BIOS for exactly this purpose: when you update the BIOS, the least-recently used copy is overwritten and marked active, and the previously-used BIOS is automatically preserved as a backup. If the new BIOS turns out to be faulty, you can switch back to the previous version by using the BIOS configuration menus, or if the new BIOS is completely non-functional, by using the DIP switches on the system board. (This would be documented in the User Guide for your server.)

2.) You should read the release notes and installation instructions for the firmware upgrade: if there are special requirements to upgrade to some specific prior version first, the requirements will be clearly described in those documents. Usually you can go directly to the latest version.

When you're on the HP webpage that lists the downloadables for DL580 G5, click on the name of the firmware package, not on the "download" button next to it. You will see a page that lists information about the package, and has links to instructions, release notes, version history and other appropriate documents.

MK
ReneC
Visitor

Hi!

Thanks for the links..

Greatly appreciated.

Ren├й

ReneC
Visitor

thanks for the reply. Yes, exe files are to be open on a Windows box.
ReneC
Visitor

Thanks for links and info

ReneC
Visitor

Thanks for your feedbacks.