Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL580 G5 Server Hang issue

Chris Fung
Frequent Advisor

DL580 G5 Server Hang issue

Dear All,

We are running into trouble for our DL580 G5 server running vmware ESXi 4.1 U1 with 10+ VM running .... Encountered sudden hang up for the whole physical machine .... no PSOD for Vmware .... and VMware support point to HP hardware issue.

When the server hang, we found that 4 CPU LED turned red in System Insight Display.  Our engineer also found that there was error code for 51 displayed.

After talked to HP hardware team, they accessed our fireware level and although we are not most up to date, but we updated to Jan 2011 one which contain the critical fix for CPU bug.

I've searched the website and documentation for the DL580 G5, however, there is not much information telling me the what the error code 51 means and what is the root cause for the 4 CPU LED turned red.

Would like to know the possible reasons for the root cause on my case, as this is not the first time we encountered this case, we have had this case occured before our upgrade the firmware on Apr 2011.

Appreciated for your advice and comments.

Thanks and Regards,

Chris,

3 REPLIES
Chris Fung
Frequent Advisor

Re: DL580 G5 Server Hang issue

Dear All,

Really need your expert advice on our situation as we are not hearing from HP hardware support (Level 3) for a week !!

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Chris,

Gstar580
Occasional Visitor

What was the outcome of this?

Do you have a HP Case refernce by any chance?

I am seeing the same symptoms with no RC for months now

PZel
Valued Contributor

With error 51, this random problems are often caused by the PPM's (4*) on this type server.

So, pay attention to them, or when possible test it out with only PPM1 and Memorybrd 1 installed (minimal configuration).

PZ