1748169 Members
4122 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL580 G5 and Raid 1+0

Tom Riddle
Occasional Contributor

DL580 G5 and Raid 1+0

I have a new DL580 G5 with 2 P400 array controllers.
The integrated p400 controller has 6 -72GB drives attached, 4 on channel 1 and 2 on chanel 2.
The second p400 controller has 6 -72GB drives attached, 4 on channel 1 and 2 on chanel 2.
My goal is to have 2 drives mirrored for the OS and the remaining drives in a Raid 1+0 config for an Oracle database.
My initial thought was to create an array containing a single drive on both controllers and a 5 drive raid 0 array on both controllers. Then use Windows 2008 to Mirror but that doesn't seem right.

Any ideas?
2 REPLIES 2
Greybeard
Esteemed Contributor

Re: DL580 G5 and Raid 1+0

Hi Marvolo ;-) Well I don't have two p400s to try but I would first see if ACU can select drives on both controllers and create an array that spans them, with each controller handling one half of the mirror, though this will put lot of traffic on the bus between the two controllers. If you can get the capacity required by connecting 8 to one controller and putting the O/S on the 4 disks lft on the other one performance would improve. It's never a good idea to use software for RAID calculation though.

Re: DL580 G5 and Raid 1+0

Thanks Larry. Good catch, but it is Valdemort, I get that all the time.
I think you're right on. HP Array Config Util cannot create arrays that span controllers and each controller can only support 8 drives in the DL580. I guess I'll have to live with 8 drives in a raid 1+0 on one controller and the remaining 4 for OS on the other controller.

Thanks for the help.