3336 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL580 G5 and redundant power

Jason Weir_1
Occasional Contributor

DL580 G5 and redundant power

I've just unpacked out newest server.

The DL580 G5 came with 2 power supplies but it seems they are not redundant and are both required for operation. With power to only 1 PS the unit will not boot, halting with an error about not enough power. With power to both PSs and Windows booted up, Windows will shut down if I remove power from one of the power supplies.

Do I need 4 power supplies for this thing to be redundant? Is there a setting change I can make that will allow it to survive a PS failure without going down without having 4 power supplies?

-Jason
5 REPLIES 5
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

From server QuickSpecs:

Hot Plug Redundant Power Supplies (two standard with 2P Models, requires four for redundancy)

800/1200W AC Power Supply
NOTE: Two Hot Plug Power Supplies ships standard with 2P Base Models (optional Redundant Hot Plug Power Supply Option Kit). Four Hot Plug Power Supplies ship standard with 4P High Performance
Models. Configurations with 3 or 4 processors that will use lowline (110V) input power require four Hot
Plug Power Supplies.
Jason Weir_1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks - I had read that. I had hoped there was a setting that would allow me to change the default behavior.

Can someone explain to me why this (any) server should need 4 power supplies and the corresponding power cords and outlets? Do they really use that much power? It doesn't make sense to me.

-Jason
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi Jason

check this advisory maybe can help you

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01269646тМй=en&cc=us&taskId=101&prodSeriesId=3454575&prodTypeId=15351

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Jason Weir_1
Occasional Contributor

Great - Thanks..

Although I don't think it helps my problem, I didn't know the power supplies could accept both 120 and 240 VAC. I also didn't know about the ROM setup option.

-Jason
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

ok checking again you question

-Do I need 4 power supplies for this thing to be redundant?

Yes you need 4 power supplies to have that server redundant. there is no other option.

-Is there a setting change I can make that will allow it to survive a PS failure without going down without having 4 power supplies?

no there is not.

in that server 2 power suppplies(PSU) it's like 1 PSU in a Dl380 G5 and 4 PSU it like 2 PSU.

Base models are shipped with 2 PSU and high performance model are shipped with 4 PSU.

regards

Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!