1751788 Members
4926 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DL580 G5 fans running at full speed, all LEDs on and won't boot

SFHR
Frequent Advisor

DL580 G5 fans running at full speed, all LEDs on and won't boot

I have a customer DL 580 G5 server with 2 Processor. Server powers up, all fans start running full speed with all LEDs on and server wont boot, no display, server hangs in same state.

I have done following steps to diagnose the problem:

Re-steated RAM

Re-seated processor

Removed one processor

Repalced the first processor

Replaced Processor Board

Replaced SPI Board

Nothing resolved the problem, Can somebody help with the issue?

Thanks in advance,

Regards, Fayyaz

Regards//
SF Hussain

Help others for better Tomorrow
Advisor

Fayyaz,
I'm unsure what an SPI Board is...I haven't heard that term. However, the problem they're experiencing is usually due to the procs or the main board (sys board) I see that you re seated and replaced 1 proc. Or both? If re seated procs then I'd try replacing the main board. my best guess.

New here but not new to the Industry and Love to help!
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Usually "small" servers have all components on a single system board, but this server has the CPU/memory on the CPU board, the I/O slots on the system board and all external I/O connections, BIOS and ILO on the SPI.

I would check ILO if there are some logs regarding this - does ILO still work?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
SFHR
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Torsten,

That was the first thing I also checked, unfortunately iLO also not working. I also tired following:

Removed all processor to check if Health status indicate anyhthing and it did show processor 1 missing on LED indicators.

Removed FANs, Power Supllies, RAMs and everything was indicated except RAM modules. I guess its memory controller. I am not sure where its located, as I already replaced processor Board and that did not help.

The only thing left is I/O Board, lets see if helps or it will be multi parts failure.

Unfornately no HP site/Knowledge base contains info on this kind of status.

Thanks again for your kind suggestion,

Regards,

Regards//
SF Hussain

SPI Board is SCSI Peripheral Interface Baord, DL 580 is unlike small servers with one MB, it has three main boards, Processor and Memory Board, I/O Board and SPI Board. SPI Baord contains all interfaces like VGA, iLO, Keyboard Mouse, Network etc.
Regards//
SF Hussain

For anyone else that may stumble across this post (like I did) who is having this same issue, my problem was that I seated the processors (4 in my case) but I forgot to lock one of them.  I don't know if it was supposed to be possible but I was able to close the metal harness or whatever you want to call it that you lock into place and didn't realize that the lever was still in the unlocked position.  When I booted the server I never got the BIOS to POST, it was exactly as the OP stated where the fans were running at full speed but the screen was just blank.

After fixing my error - putting the lever in the locked position - and trying again, the server POSTed normally.  Hope this helps someone else.

RbBsmn
Regular Advisor

Is it still under warranty?
If yes, HP will probably decide to replace several parts in one go with the thought that a faulty component might keep damaging other component.

Had a case where the cu had replaced the powersupply backplane, systemboard, both processors and all DIMMs.
**bleep** thing still wouldn't boot at all.

Ended up replacing the powersupply packplane, systemboard, one processor and 1 DIMM in one go so they could boot the server with this minimal configuration. Afterwards 2 more DIMMs needed to be replaced, but at least we got it to boot again. :)
Did my post help? Thank me with kudo's! :)