4705 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL580 G5 memory speed

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kent Grunden

DL580 G5 memory speed

I have noticed that the DL580 G5 shows a Mainboard Data Bus Speed of 1066MHz, but the memory speed on the ram that comes with it is only 667MHz.
Does HP have faster memory to fit this configuration?
Or is this not an issue?
Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Re: DL580 G5 memory speed

I'm not intimately familiar with the DL580 G5, but being a bus-based system where the memory controller is out on the bus, it seems to me that the frequency of the bus between the CPU(s) and the memory controller need not be the same as the frequency at which the memory controller speaks to the DIMMs.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Kent Grunden

Wouldn't the slower memory restrict the speed of the system then? While it would work, wouldn't the speed of the memory reduce the effective speed of the main bus to 667MHz as well?
rick jones
Honored Contributor
Solution

One fast bus (the FSB) talking to a memory controller that hopefully is talking to several slower DIMMs. When the memory controller is able to have activity on multiple DIMMs, even though they may run at a slower frequency they may sum to as much or more bandwidth as the bus.

Also, there is more to the performance of a bus than simply its frequency. There is also the question of its width (how many bits are on the bus at the same time). A bus that is two bits wide running at 1 HZ will have (broadly speaking at least) the same throughput as a bus that is 1 bit wide running at 2 HZ.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows