New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL580 G5: "The EMULEX BIOS is not installed" message

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ana M. Garc├нa Olivencia
Regular Advisor

DL580 G5: "The EMULEX BIOS is not installed" message

Hi all.

I have a Proliant DL580 G5 with two HBAs (A8002A). We have connected each HBA to different fabrics (that are currently working) and, when booting the system, at the Emulex BIOS installation step, some messages appear:

Bring the link up
Bring the link up

Four repeated messages referencing adapter 01

(It takes some minutes...)

Four repeated messages referencing adapter 02

(It takes some minutes) ...

The final messages:

The EMULEX BIOS is not installed

However, the HBAs' WWN are seen from the switchs and the EVA6000. But I don't understand why the EMULEX BIOS is not installed and why it takes so much time to try to bring the link up. The HBA leds are ok and the HBAs are enabled.

Previously to this situation, I received a "Retry this adapter" message but I enabled 'start unit command' option at the EMULEX configuration and the message dissapeared.

Should I to change another setting?.

The versions are:

EMULEX Light Pulse BIOS utility WB1.71A0
HBA firmware: 2.50A6

I know that there are more recent versions for both but I think that these ones should work.

Any help will be very appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ana
3 REPLIES 3
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

check

http://communities.vmware.com/message/279297;jsessionid=FBD5BC67FA69B5361A92C9FC4DDC6C04

seems like the problem is not EMULEX BIOS is not installed(normal if you don't boot), it is the delay, which seems like cables/config

Ana M. Garc├нa Olivencia
Regular Advisor

Blazhev.

Thanks for your answer.

Now I know that it's normal the "The Emulex BIOS is not installed" message when you are not booting from a SAN disk. We have defined at boot parameters to boot from the HBA and the time spent to check the link has been reduced from 3' 30'' for both adapters to some seconds.

Now all works ok.

Thanks again for your help.

Ana
Ana M. Garc├нa Olivencia
Regular Advisor

Already commented at the previous reply.