1753487 Members
4521 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DL580 G7 - E7 CPU Support / Socket #3 - Windows CPLD Code Flasher - Revisit

ccundiff12
Occasional Visitor

DL580 G7 - E7 CPU Support / Socket #3 - Windows CPLD Code Flasher - Revisit

This issues has been discussed in the past; and i can usually find most all of the firmware i'm looking for.... but this one has proved to be nearly impossible.  HELP!!!!

Out of (4) servers, I have (1) DL580 G7 that appears to have had the system IO board replaced in the past.  Under no circumstances can i install an E7 processor in Processor #3 slot.  The server will not post.  (needed to run the optional PCIe board).  After a TON of reading, and flashing all the firmware back to the first supported SPP and updating to current, nothing updates the CPLD code.  This server (iLO3 diagnostics) has a CPLD - PAL1 version of 0x0E.  The other (3) are all PAL1 ver 0x11 and have E7 processors installed in slot #3.  this server does post with (3) E7 processors installed in slots 1,2, and 4.... ?????????   

As an example here is the CPLD update for a DL980 G7:  https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX-1d6a350eea2249b0a4f5c3b802 

All of my investigating points to a non published update/fix that is provided only when needed by tier3 support.  Others have been provided this update due to an NMI issue accidently being generated by the CPLD.  It's described as CPLD code flasher for windows.   It is NOT located on ANY SPP (i have tried them all from 2011 thru 2018).  It is not on any FTP or HP SUM source that i can locate.   Can anyone help me find this?  Obviously i cannot open a support case for this server any longer.  (although it was kept under support while in production)

Elsewhere someone indicated that some ROM flashes may update / modify the CPLD code. (i cannot confirm this) i have disected several USB offline ROM installers, and sequencially installed offline ROM's from 2011 through current; thinking that not every bios update might have to update embeded controllers / CPLD etc...  Unfortunately rompaq.exe does not give any advanced options to force update embeded controller code even though it might exist....

This is a crazy stupid rabbit hole i'm stuck in... especially when there is a simple resolution.  So far the ONLY working resolution suggested is to buy (another) replacement system IO board (ebay) and hope that it's got the proper revision.  I should not have to go this route.  Especially since we kept this server under support for at least 5 years. 

If anyone has access to this unpublished / tier3 fix, OR can point me in the right direction i'd be very thankful. 

4 REPLIES 4
ccundiff12
Occasional Visitor

what i really need is for anyone (knowledgeable) from HPE support to find this in the archive somewhere.  please?

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

CPLD is not part of BIOS. if there is a fix included in CPLD then it is separately available download.
There is no download link CPLD is not available for this model.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

ccundiff12
Occasional Visitor

While i very much appreciate you pointing out the obvious... can i ask if you actually looked at this?   i've done my homework.... you restated something said in my first post & asked for Kudos.  I Still can't populate socket #3 with a E7 processor.  It works with (4) non E7 procs.  My (4) other Identical servers work with (4) E7 procs.  Others have confirmed this exists, but was only provided via support case. 

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

I would suggest you to have a proper case be logged with HPE for further clarifications.

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo