New Discussion

DL580 G7 internal storage

SOLVED
Go to solution
W. Lin
Visitor

DL580 G7 internal storage

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how many SAS connectors are there on the back plane for the 1-8 SFF SAS Internal Drive Cage for the Proliant DL580 G7 server?  I want to buy different kinds of drives for the OS and data storage.  Thanks for any information!

4 REPLIES 4
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: DL580 G7 internal storage

Hi,

Watch this video about SAS backplane removal, I see that there are two SAS connectors and two Power connectors for the SAS Backplane.

http://h20464.www2.hp.com/media/272C74EE-2BEB-4C44-8827-E254B96CE797/dl580_FRU_video_sasbackplane.htm

Spare Part# SAS backplane, 591203-001

Hope this helps.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Oleg Mochkin
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

you don't need to split HDDs between controllers.
All 8 drives on one SmartArray can be configured with several RAID simultaneously
Mixing SAS and SATA drives within one RAID is impossible,
all other combination is allowed.
For example: 2xSAS HDD 15k/RAID 1 (System) , 3xSAS HDD 10k/RAID 5 (Data1), 3xSATA 7.2k/RAID 5 (Data2).

BR,  Oleg.

W. Lin
Visitor

Hi,

Thanks for the info.  Because I can't mixed SAS and SATA drives within one RAID, that's why I want to check to see if there are two connectors (two channels) to the RAID controller.  If there are two channels, I will get 4xSAS HDD 15k/RAID 1 (System) and 4xSATA RAID 5 (Data).  Can anyone confirm there are two channels/connectors?  Thanks again.

Alex Geroulaitis
Respected Contributor
Solution

Like Oleg said, no issue mixing SAS and SATA drives on the same controller or channel as long as each RAID set contains roughly similar drives.  I've got a DL380G5 with P400 running 2xSAS in RAID1 and 6xSATA in RAID6 all divided between two channels.  Shows that SAS and SATA drives can co-exist on the same channel as long as they belong to different RAID sets (volumes).

Systems Administrator
(if my post was helpful, please "mark as a solution" or give "kudos" - thanks)