1753484 Members
4489 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL580 G7 won't POST and there are no error logs being created in iLO3

hhish
Regular Visitor

DL580 G7 won't POST and there are no error logs being created in iLO3

I got a DL580 G7 that won't POST. No video comes up when connected directly to a monitor. The fans just spool up, a few lights flash, fans spool down, and the process repeats 4x before returning to standby with a red system health LED. I've reduced the system to a single CPU, a single PSU, and a single memory bay with only slots 1A and 8A filled. I can still get in through iLO3, but there are no logs in IML concerning any of these POST failures. I didn't have the system when it was running and I got it this way, so the stuff in IML is just old logs from before. 

On the system board there is a 2-character alphanumeric display that I can't find referenced anywhere in any documentation for the server and is in fact not even on the illustrations of the system board found across various manuals. (But I can visibly see it on replacement boards for sale). This switches between 80 and 00 (or perhaps it's 08 and 00 but I can't tell which way it's supposed to be read). I'm not sure if this means anything, but I can't find any more information about it.

I've tried resetting the NVRAM via the maintenance switch, and that didn't get me anywhere. I read people referencing port 85 codes, but I can't find the 8 mentioned leds, or the switch to go between port 84/85. I don't have any idea of what I'm supposed to be actually be looking for.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

With what you are describing, I doubt the system is actually getting to POST stage where anything can be logged.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
hhish
Regular Visitor

@Jimmy Vance wrote:

With what you are describing, I doubt the system is actually getting to POST stage where anything can be logged.

That's what I was thinking too. I ordered a new System board and I'll see how it goes once that's in.

ldivita

Was that able to fix the problem? I have a DL585 G7 with the same 00 and 08 flashing on the system board and can't find any documentation as to what that port 85 code is refferring to.

hhish
Regular Visitor

Replacing the system board (the board displaying the code) did the trick for me. Good luck.