ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751707 Members
5154 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL580 Windows 2000 not installing

Tim Ruppert

DL580 Windows 2000 not installing

Doing an install of Windows 2000 server on a DL580 700MHz server for the first time. I boot from CD, setup said that it is loading various files and then states "Setup is starting Windows 2000". Here is where it stops. No errors no nothing. Did I miss something prior to starting the setup? Does a special SCSI driver need loaded first? Thanks for your help.
5 REPLIES 5
Tv_3
Respected Contributor

Re: DL580 Windows 2000 not installing

Hi, its a best practice to use the smartstart CD with come with every server and use this CD. (It wil ask for an OS cd after an intial server config setup procedure...)

When using the CD, you must no be concerned about drivers, the smartstart cd contains all neccessary drivers.

Hope this helps,
Chaos, Panic or Disaster??? Always Stay Calm, I will fix it.
Tim Ruppert

Tv, I tried the 5.50 SmartStart CD. Built the array from scratch. Updated the System Partition. I then booted from F10 selected the OS option. Windows 2000 was not an option, however, the website shows it. I selected the NT option and left the server reboot with the 2000 CD in the drive. I got to about the same point as above where it appeared to stop. Any thoughts? Am I still missing an update somewhere? Thanks for your help.
Tv_3
Respected Contributor

Hi,

This is not a the procedure to follow.

Is there a possibility to use a 6.X version of a smart start CD?

Sicerly
Chaos, Panic or Disaster??? Always Stay Calm, I will fix it.
Mike Bollman_1
Respected Contributor

Tim,
The Smart Start 5.5 CD is the correct version to use, but it should prompt first to perform a system erase. Once this is complete you will power off /power on the server and Smart Start will take over. It will walk you through the ACU, Configure OS/Hardware/etc.

However, you should be able to perform a straight windows direct load, if you press F6 and provide the Array driver. However, it sounds like Windows is not getting that far. If so I would pull all extra cards/RAM in the system and then try again. I had an issue recently on a 7000 that turned out to be a bad RAM module that caused the OS install the hang.

Good luck.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Which OS do you have selected in the System Configuration Utility? This is what normally happens when you select the wrong OS there (ie. Other or NT4, instead of Windows 2000).
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..