New Discussion юеВ

DL580 fans slowly ruining my hearing

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mr Booka
Occasional Advisor

DL580 fans slowly ruining my hearing

Hello,

I and a student and I have a dl580 in my possesion and was practicing with windows server 2000 with it. I have the operating system with service pack 4 and the proliant support pack, latest version, installed. The fans are running full blast. How do I throttle these things down? I do not see the cpqhealth driver installed on the system. Is this the driver that controlls the fans? I thought that the proliant support pack installed this? Do I need a different driver? Does anyone have any ideas. I am a newbie so please be gentle. Thanks in advance.
12 REPLIES 12
Ananthak23
Trusted Contributor

Re: DL580 fans slowly ruining my hearing

Looks like Management agents are not running. Go to Services panel and make sure HP Foundation, Server, System Management Homepage, SNMP services are running. Also try rebooting the Server. As far as I know, during the initial boot the Fans will run at its maximum speed, once the Agents are loaded it has to come down to the normal operating speed.

Hope this helps...

-Anantha
Tv_3
Respected Contributor

Hi,

Can you check within insight manager or the system managements homepage whats the average temperature is?
IS your temperature in a warning zone?

You can always throttle the fan speed within the BIOS, their are know issues, rompaq etc who set the speed of the fan to HIGH, you can change it within RBSU (F9)

Sincerly.
Chaos, Panic or Disaster??? Always Stay Calm, I will fix it.
Mr Booka
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the quick replies,

Anatha, I checked the services panel and all of the services that you mentioned are running.

Tv, I was not able to use the systems management home page. I clicked on it and it basically gave me a page can't be found error. My server is not hooked up to the internet right now. Could that be the problem or do I have to have the web service installed on the server? I have not set up the servers web service or anything like that yet as I can't stand to hear the thing run for that long of a time period. I also tried to get within the BIOS by hitting F9 during restart and that did not work either. I get an F8 Insight option or an F10 Partition option but no F9. So I guess the big question is how do I access the BIOS on the DL580? Thanks again.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

The agents don't have any effect on the fan speed. The driver which would adjust the fan speed for this server is the ilo advanced system management controller driver:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/22372.html
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Mr Booka
Occasional Advisor

Terry,

Thid file is included in the pro liant support pack. How do I know if the service is loaded. In other words what name should I look for? Will it be listed as ilo advanced system management controller? Do I need to do anything other than start this service? Thanks for the help.
Tv_3
Respected Contributor

Probably something went wrong during the PSP installation?

Can you reinstall it.

Do not forget to configure the "all configurable components" by rightclicking on them and choosing configure.
(Specialy the management agents and homepage...)

Also have you checked within the Rom based setup utility (F9).
Can you check the advanced settings, fan speed? Aren't day throthled to HIGH ?
If they are, the wel continuesly blown at full speed.

Can you let me know both results?

sincerly.

Chaos, Panic or Disaster??? Always Stay Calm, I will fix it.
Mr Booka
Occasional Advisor

Tv,

I have re-installed PSP. No problems there. The advanced system management controller dirver is installed. The homepage is working and I can see all of the fans temperatures and operating conditions. There speeds are listed as normal. The temperatures are very low compared to the thresholds. I entered the system partition via F10 and there is no way to configure fan speeds here. Now I must mention in case that I did not make this clear before. This is a Compaq Proliant DL580 (700 - 900 Mhz). The original generation. So it does not have a ROM based setup utility that I know of unless we are talking about the system partition. The machine spins up like its a Dyson about to vacuum the house and does not stop. Maybe this generations fans run at full speed all of the time? Does anyone know the answer? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am about to throw the towel in on this one. Thanks.
amhakassa
Honored Contributor

Hi Mr Booka,

have you tried to falsh the system ROM at all? If not I would suggest to do so
Latest ROm can be loaded from this link
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/20_1121.html#4

Regards
Amha Kassa
Mr Booka
Occasional Advisor

Amha Kassa,

Excellent suggestion. I have already flashed all of the firmware in the machine to the latest version and have updated all of the Compaq software. Do you have any other ideas?

John