1752618 Members
4584 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL580: hanging errors while installing windows 2000 advance server

abah matt
Occasional Contributor

DL580: hanging errors while installing windows 2000 advance server

How can I overcome this hanging error?I start booting with ASI diskette, which takes me to the Image cd I am using.It just gets hung-up at the point of "Setup is starting windows 2000".

The present bios/rom version is 1.5
I have tried the following:
1.To upgrade the rom/firmware to a later version,by exploding .exe files like cp003195, cp005778, cp006263, cp007096, onlineromflash components for dl580, sp19680.exe, sp19717.exe, sp6038.exe, cp004555.exe, cp005402.exe, sp23654.exe, I have even downloaded scsi harddrives drivers like sp19680.exe, sp19682.exe, etc.

The error still remaiins the same. I tried using smart start 6.40 but says setup not supporting model of server.I have downloaded and burnt smartstart 5.50 unto a cd, made a bootable diskette image with it, but the server would not boot from the cd.

Please help.
Thanks.
my email is: mattabah@gmail.com
7 REPLIES 7
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi abah

ok it looks it is a Dl580 G1???

1. update Firmware for Server
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=341566&prodNameId=341567&swEnvOID=181&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-73e7147c53964e85850764aaf7

2. try minimizing server, I mean 1 Proc and the minimum of memories, remove PCI that you don't need
DIMMS config
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/10635_na/10635_na.html#Memory

3. are you loading a driver for controller when installing W2000?

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Aks2
Valued Contributor
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

if that is a G1 server those servers only support Smartstart 5.5 not any other like 7.7

and for the firmware version 7.5 it's Ok for that server in fact it's the latest listed in the software support site

regards
abah matt
Occasional Contributor

Thanks.
Yes its DL580 G1.
I will do as advised and will feedback you.
abah matt
Occasional Contributor

Friends,
My problem still continues.I have not been able to bring my DL580 G1 server up.

I downloaded the SmartStart 5.50 as advised and burnt it as a bootable, but that smartstart does not have OS setup support, like the older version. I have smartstart 6.40 but when I enter the setup, it says that it does not support the model of my server.

I have downloaded the firmware 7.5 but don't know how to use it.is it bootable? or how do I boot the server with it or at what stage should I use it?

The error I still get from the server after loading drivers and copying windows files, then it just gets hanged up and says the Computer is not known, when I load the scsi and disks drivers in a diskette, it returns error the txtsetup.oem file is missing"

Pls help.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

like I told abah matt

only 5.5 it's supported

I don't have any G1 server available so I can tell you how to proceed with that start CD

I have guide for W2003 I think it can help and give you some ideas, see below

yes Firmware CD it's a bootable CD just burn the iso image and boot from it

-------------
Try this.

1. My first recommendation is to update all components using Firmware CD I linked to

2. Insert SmartStart (SS) CD 5.5 and from it

3. System Utilities is launched. Run Erase Utility (click yes to the warning message you get).
After System has ├в been erased├в what is indicated with a message
4. Restart the server with the power button.

5. SS boots and a window will appear where you have to select your Language, countrie, date and so on. Like usual.
6. Choose the desired SmartStart Path window appears. Select Manual configuration. Begin.
7. OS Selection window appears. Select the OS that you want to install. W2003 is not an option but here it is when you do the magic ;-). Select Windows 2000 Server Advanced. Next and Continue to any message appears.

8. SS loads the System Configuration Utility. If you have your server configured properly and everything is OK, a blue window appears that says "your computer and all detected ├в ┬ж.". This window will display the controller that you will use to control your hard drives. This same window will give you the option to manually adjust some configuration options for your server by going to Review or Modify HW Settings.
The Options given by the Window are Continue with Smart Start Installation and Review or Modify HW Settings.

9. These are the options for -> Review or Modify HW Settings:

1. Important System Configuration Information
2. Add or Remove Boards (it depends on server model / not used ).
3. View or Edit Details (like BIOS).
4. Examine Switches or Print Report (not used).
5. Save and Exit.
If you select Save and Exit, another window will appear with the following two options:

Save the configuration and Restart the Computer
and
Discard the configuration and return to Main Menu
10. Select Save the configuration and restart the computer.
A reboot message will be displayed, press enter. The system reboots. Then SmartStart Loads and System Reboots again. Then Smart Start loads.
The Partition Installation Utility starts, a Quick Format is run and SS continues

11. SmartStart loads and asks to create a Support SW Diskette (it not necessary). Next.

12. A message will let you know that SS is done you have to remove it and insert W2003 CD. Continue

regards
abah matt
Occasional Contributor

I have tried-out all the steps you outlined but I still get the same error the server after loading drivers and copying windows files, then it just gets hanged up and says the Computer is not known, when I load the scsi and disks drivers in a diskette, it returns error the txtsetup.oem file is missing"