ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753819 Members
9126 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL580G1 only initialises 3.5GB out of 4GB of memory.

Keith Rogan
Occasional Advisor

DL580G1 only initialises 3.5GB out of 4GB of memory.

Hi,

Why does my DL580G1 server only initialise about 3.5GB of the 4GB of memory that is physically present.

Thanks,

Keith Rogan
3 REPLIES 3
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Is this the "Memory Check" count during post?

What does your OS report?

Others have had this same issue, but am unsure if it was found to be just a display issue during POST or if it was an actual problem with the OS reporting 3.5GB as well.

If your OS reports 4GB, then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Some other things to check...

1. Server BIOS/Firmware - make sure it is up to date.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Keith Rogan
Occasional Advisor

Hi Steven,

Yes,this is the memory count during post. The server puts up the message:-
4096MB detected 3540MB initialised, very odd. I've put 4GB of memory into each of 3 DL580G1s and I get the same thing each time. So each server has got 4GB detected but only initialises 3.5GB. The OS is UNIX and also reports only 3.5GB. I'll find out the BIOS firmware level.
Thanks for your quick response.

Keith Rogan
Jeff Brown_15
Frequent Advisor

Stolen...

"Under the current PC memory addressing, there is a memory area just below 4.0 GB which is reserved permanently. The reserved area is for system BIOS to put APIC, ACPI Table, PCI Devices', Resources and AGP aperture information. When your system DRAM is 3.5 GB or lower, the system will show that the same amount of memory has been implemented. However, if the system DRAM is above 3.5 GB of memory, the actual amount of memory that the system shows will be less due to the reserved area. Regardless of memory size, the reserved memory addressing is always present, but only when the DRAM rises above the 3.5 GB amount will that area become visible."