cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL580G3 64bit Xeon/PCI express speed with PCI-X intermix

Daniel W. Stotz
Occasional Contributor

DL580G3 64bit Xeon/PCI express speed with PCI-X intermix

I'm building a master/media server for Netbackup 5.1 on win2003.
The new DL/ML 500 series have PCI express slots.
If I understand the bus correctly, we can run the PCI Express cards at their full speed without the PCI-x cards in the system slowing them down becuase they are actually on different buses. I plan to run at least 2 dual port qlogic FC pci express-4 cards on the pci express bus and a dual port NC6170-1000sx NIC in the PCI bus. This box will be attached to a Falconstor Virtual Tape Library with an HDS9585V(250SATA drives) behind it and to a physical tape library with 4 LTO-2 drives(which will be upgraded to LTO-3 when they are avail).
When backups are finished Vault will feed the LTO drives to make DR copies for offsite. I want enough i/o to stream the LTO-3s and it looks like the new DL/ML 500 series will have plenty of bus bandwidth to get the job done.

Is anyone running a similar setup? Do I understand the bus correctly, or will adding PCI and PCIx cards slow down the PCI Express slots?
1 REPLY

Re: DL580G3 64bit Xeon/PCI express speed with PCI-X intermix

PCI and PCI-x bus connected to the north bridge of the system board normally. PCI- express is dedicated bus which is a express pus dedicated only of that particular slot.

PCI shares that 132MBps bandwidth as it only uses one PCI bus which is connected in parallel

PCIe x1 500MB/s (Single Data Lane - Both Directions)
PCIe x2 1000MB/s (Dual Data Lane - Both Directions)
PCIe x4 2000MB/s (Quadruple Data Lane - Both Directions)
PCIe x8 4000MB/s (Eight Data Lane - Both Directions)
PCIe x12 6000MB/s (Twelve Data Lane - Both Directions)
PCIe x16 8000MB/s (4000MB/s Per Direction (Two Directions))

for your information PCI -x is 64bit and 66 Mhz 3.3 volt

so if you have multiple pci cards in your pci slots bandwidth will be shared. Because one pci bus with parallel connection. PCI express has a dedicated bus to transfer data at high speed.

If you have pci - express cards will not slow your data transfer.

thanks