108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL580G3 processor termination ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dusan Vidovic_1
Advisor

DL580G3 processor termination ?

I've installed an DL580G3 with 3 single-core processors. Now, I have a Machine Check Event (corrected) reported. To be sure what's is the problem, I went through specs once again, and found there's a DL580 G3 DC Processor Blank Kit (407556-B21) option part, which is described as necessary for servers using dual-core processors and being populated with less than 3 of 'em. Is this one also for the single-core systems as well? Is there any processor termination required for single-core DL580G3 systems having 1 or 3 processors? (I remember such options existed for some systems - but quite a while ago...) Would a reply quickly! Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Re: DL580G3 processor termination ?

Hi,

I don't know if this is related to your problem but the DL580G3 user guide states that the processors should be intalled in the following order:-

Proc1, Proc2, Proc4, Proc3.

If you have the third processor in Proc 3 slot instead of Proc 4 this may be your problem. It seems odd but there may be a reference to this on the label inside the processor cage. There doesn't seem to be an explanation for this in the guide.

I have attached an image with this information from the DL580G3 User Guide.

I hope this helps.

Brian

Dusan Vidovic_1
Advisor

Thanks for pointing out ... I'll check with my colleagues to verify that.
...and it is not illogical, as that's probably how the bus (was it GTL+ ?) goes - so filling th #3 first would be actually leaving the gap.
Any response on the 2nd part of the question (related to the blank kit)?
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

407556-B21 is only required for upgraded systems using dual core CPU's and does not affect single core systems. I assume this may be due to heat and airflow generated with the dual-core CPU's and heatsinks inside the processor cage but HP does not elaborate on this anywhere.

See attached image.

Regards,

Brian
Dusan Vidovic_1
Advisor

Initial statement in documentation/bulletin was a bit ambiguous. I thought so the same, but had to double-check after what has appeared.