1753575 Members
5886 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL580G5 Backplane question

DarkLogix
Visitor

DL580G5 Backplane question

So I have a DL580G5 at home and I bought a P420 for it as the P400 doesn't do Sata 6gb and I put 2 intel 730 480GB ssd's in it.

when the SSD's were on teh P400 the led's would light up but once I put it on the 420 they don't except breifly at boot.

even in the array config utility it won't light them.

all I did was use 2x 408764-001 to link the backplane to the P420 and disconnect the cables from the P400

is there something I could have missed that would be causing this or what?

7 REPLIES 7
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

Its always a good idea to refer to server QuickSpecs to check what and what not is compatible with the server.

P420 is not compatible with DL580 G5 server.  P410 or P411 are compatible.

http://h20566.www2.hpe.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/manualsResults/?sp4ts.oid=3454575&spf_p.tpst=psiContentResults&spf_p.prp_psiContentResults=wsrp-navigationalState%3Daction%253Dmanualslist%257Cviewall%253Dtrue%257Clang%253Den&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

Also remember that Non-HP branded hard drives may not work with HP branded array controllers because of firmware incompatibility.

Thank You!
I am a HP employee

Useful Links for ProLiant Servers

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

As already stated the P420 wasn't tested in the DL580 G5. That being said, even though it isn't a supported controller for that system it should probably work OK.  Try updating the controller to the latest firmware and see if there are any firmware manufacture updates for the drives themselves.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
waaronb
Respected Contributor

I wonder though if the backplane on the G5 would support 6Gbps, or stuck at 3Gbps.  I'm guessing it won't support the faster speed.

Also, the indicator lights on the drives are managed by the backplane, not the controller (I think), so my guess is that the backplane firmware, while it may technically work, won't be fully feature ready with a non-supported controller.  I'm not entirely surprised that the P420's signals to light up LEDs on certain drives is being ignored by an older backplane.

If I had to guess even more, I'd say the only things you should expect to work are things that are part of the official SATA/SAS specs, and nothing more.

DarkLogix
Visitor

On another forum anotehr person is seeing the same with a P410.

I've updated the system with HP_Service_Pack_for_Proliant_SPP2014020B.2014_0421.2_780345_001_spp_2014.02.0B-SPP2014020B.2014_0421.2

before I started, I got the 420 because the 410 doesn't support sata6gb but oddly does support sas6gb

I guess I might look into a P410 just to test.

DarkLogix
Visitor

Well I got a P812 w/1gb FBWC and put it in

Its on firmware 6.60

and still the drive LED's don't light

the P812 is the same gen as the P410/P411 so any ideas?

Also oddly it thinks they're in differant slots (IE I have the drives in1 and 5, but it thinks they're 4 and 8.

The P420 thought they were in 0.

also in the P420 ESXi recognised that it was an SSD datastore, but with the P812 it doesn't.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

>> Also, the indicator lights on the drives are managed by the backplane, not the controller (I think),

The backplane does what the controller says ... ;-)

However, if a smartarray controller is installed, you should see an output during POST. Then you can press F8 to go into ORCA, check and configure drives.

A non configured drive will have the LEDs off.

EXAMPLE output during POST:

HP Smartarray P500 Controller (2GB, 7.00) 2 logical drives

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
DarkLogix
Visitor

It has 1 configureed logical drive and is set to raid 1