1753534 Members
6389 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DL585 G2 Discrete Video Card, No Video, No Post

elwon20
Visitor

DL585 G2 Discrete Video Card, No Video, No Post

Hi, Ive tried everything I can think of, I'm hoping someone here can help me.

I had an old X800 Radeon I tried putting in all of the different x8 full size slots on this server,.. to no avail. The server detected it in the bios but would not output to it. It was also detected in the os, but again no output.

Thinking it may be the powerdraw (I know some server pcie slots are limited to 25 watts) I got a 6450 (<25watt) card and tried that. This time it detects the card and it automatically switches off on board video (which I guess is actually a good thing) but still no output from the discrete card, and it doesn't post unless I force Onboard video to always enabled in the bios.

What I've tried:

I've tried toying with the IRQ's, and swapping the onboard and external load order. Changing powermanagement settings. All of the x8 slots and numerous other bios settings i thought might have an effect....

Are neither of these cards compatible (if so any hints as to what cards might be?) or am I missing something obvious or is something broken?

Anyone any clues?

Cheers

12 REPLIES 12
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Hello, maybe stupid question: Why do you need such card / any similar card in 4 socked AMD server?

Jan

elwon20
Visitor

The reason being that I'm using this server as a workstation, and while I realise that isn't what it was originally intended for... the fact is it suits my needs perfectly barring the graphics issue. I don't need amazing graphics, just any card that will scroll web pages without stuttering and allow me to drag windows around without half a second delay between the cursor and the window i'm moving.

I'm quite surprised nobody seems to have an answer here... Obviously this isn't something that's done by many but still you'd have thought someone would know of a compatible graphics card or have some ideas as to why the two I've tried aren't working.

As an additional, I forgot to mention in the first post that I have upgraded the bios and firmwares to the latest with no further success.

Anyone? Please?! lol

danman
Occasional Advisor

I also cannot boot a DL585 G2 with a RADEON 7750 PCIe card (Asus).   I have an identical DL585 G2 that boots fine with an NVIDIA GeForce GT640 - but the RADEON will not get into POST and actually refuses to even display anything out to video.  Other pieces of information:

- I have the latest A07 bios and drives for all my components

- BIOS settings to force using the embedded ATI ES1000 work properly and the unit boots - but then the Windows OS does not see the RADEON board.

- Using a different slot or adjusting the IRQ settings does not seem to make any difference

- Power consumption should not be an issue - both boards are within spec of PCIe slot power draw

- Port 84/85 code display shows '52' when the unit stops booting - indicating a 'misc' error but I can find no other details

i'd appreciate any information.

Thanks

Dan

Jeff_435
Occasional Visitor

Hi Dan, I'd be hugely grateful if you  could provide the exact part#/manufacturer for the NVIDIA GeForce GT640 that you got working on your DL585 G2! I need to get at least 1920X1200 out of our DL585G2 that doubles as firewall mgmt station.

Thanks in advance - jeff

danman
Occasional Advisor

NVIDIA Model that works on a DL585 G2

Jeff - 

EVGA 2GB GeForce GT640.  Model#  02G-P4-2643-KR.   Just works - however the BIOS POST shows up on the ATI ES1000 output but Windows boots on the GT640.   

I'm sure the RADEON no-boot issue is due to some conflict with the two ATI/AMD devices.  

Dan

Jeff_435
Occasional Visitor

Re: NVIDIA Model that works on a DL585 G2

Much appreciated Dan. I found one at NewEgg and am ordering now.  I readup on the part number and saw it only draws 65w, so I shouldn't need any extra power cables (assuming the PCIe X8 slot supplies up to 75watts). We have several DL585G2's. If this card works, one will connect directly to 2560X1600 monitor with DVI-D. The other card will need to connect through a Raritan Paragon KVM at 1920X1200 via VGA. So I'll get a DVI-I to VGA converter to use with that one. I'd been looking (for what seems like an eternity) for a card someone successfuly tested on these old tanks. You reply made my day. If I uncover any add'l caveats in either install, I'll post them here.  -Jeff

bunter6
Advisor

I have now tested 4 different Nvidia card on my DL585G2 & can report that Nvidia cards all worked & the ATI card that I tried would not post.

Nvidia Cards:  Quadro NVS295, GT610, GT545 DDR5 & GTX470.  THe last two required external pci power to be supplied via another psu but worked flawlessly.

ATI Card:  HD5670 no post.

I have to say that as a system the DL585G2 was one of HP's best as far as future proofing goes, other than the ATI card issue.  It allows you to upgrade to 2 generations newer cpu & works with most current PCIe cards & with the latest roms will support wear levelling for SSD's in the hot plug bay.

Cheers

Mark

danman
Occasional Advisor

FYI - I submitted a support ticket to AMD on this issue.  Its unlikely we'll see any progress from them on this - but you never know.  i'll post whatever the outcome is ...

Dan

danman
Occasional Advisor

General Update:

The reply from ATI/AMD was that the motherboard was not tested and thus not assured to work.  So I abandoned the plan to get an ATI discrete graphics card to boot properly.

Instead, I managed to find that a Quadro FX1700 gets detected properly and I see the PROLIANT boot on its DVI output and it boots to Windows.  

All is still not perfect, however.  The ES1000 is still identified by Windows in the system and no amount of convincing the bios or windows will make it go away.  Additionally, any system performance benchmark software blue-screens the system on a graphics card time-out error.

Otherwise, Server 2008 R2 runs fine and I can manage the desktops with a DVI switch.  

Good luck to all.

Dan