cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL585 G2 question

crazyxbowler
Occasional Contributor

DL585 G2 question

I have a small business that has a DL585 G2 Server running Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise. I am trying to figure out if I need to buy another server or not. Currently I have it set up as the DNS, DHCP, Active Directory, and Print Server. The client computers are a mixture of XP pro and 7 Pro. All the employees have roaming profiles. About how many computers and users can I run off of this server? Without going into too much details this server has (4) dual core 2.8 ghz amd processors and 16 gb of ddr2 5300 ram. Also if I increased the ram would that make much difference as far as how many computers and users I can have?

Thank you very much for your help

1 REPLY
Alex Geroulaitis
Respected Contributor

Re: DL585 G2 question

About how many computers and users can I run off of this server?

Probably hundreds if you don't use the server as a file or database server and for other CPU- and I/O-intensive apps (like Exchange).  AD, DHCP, DNS and printing normally aren't high load apps in small environments.

I'd (1) analyze the existing use first.  Is there server slow or not working as it should?  Is the server under heavy load?  If so, why - what apps are using it the most, what are the bottlenecks?  Bottom line, what problems will you be solving by upgrading?

2, business continuity.  How bad will it be is the server fails and how quickly will you need to get it back up and running?  If you have another one close by and are ready for such a scenario - keep using it until it dies or becomes too slow.  If you don't - getting a well supported server, e.g. with a same day or NBD part replacement warranty can be a major reason to upgrade.

...16 gb of ddr2 5300 ram. Also if I increased the ram would that make much difference as far as how many computers and users I can have?

Can't tell until you take a look (and tell us) the average and peak memory loads the server is running under.

Systems Administrator
(if my post was helpful, please "mark as a solution" or give "kudos" - thanks)