Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL585 / MSA1000 Configuration

Randy Corral
Occasional Visitor

DL585 / MSA1000 Configuration

All,

I am trying to configure a New MSA1000 with a DL585 and looking for some recommendations.

Currently I am just connecting them directly to each other with a PCA2214 FC HBA but in the future going to configure multiple BL25P to the SAN. Which driver is recommended to use with this card on the DL585 for the MSA1000?

Are there any better configuration docs to follow?
Thanks,
Randy
3 REPLIES
Randy Corral
Occasional Visitor

Re: DL585 / MSA1000 Configuration

Sorry forgot I do have a MSA SAN Switch 2/8 that will be used in the configuration.

Thanks again,
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Randy:

At the very minimum, you can use the driver(s) supplied with the MSA or you can grab the latest driver here... http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?pnameOID=315741&locale=en_US&taskId=135&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=315739

Will this server run Windows?

The MSA is relatively easy to set up. If your familiar with the Smart Array Controllers, you use the same interface, ACU, to configure the MSA. Since you only have one server at the moment, there is no need to worry about switch configuration, but there may come a time when you have to configure zoning... and we can help as necessary.

When the time comes and you get the BL25p's, I suggest you get the SAN Switch module components for the Blade enclosure instead of the Patch Panel 2 with Fibre passthrough. You will quickly run out of ports with the PP2. You will also have to consider fabric licenses. I am not sure what the MSA switch comes with, but think and feel it is a 2 switch license. This means that you can connect u to 2 of these switches together. If you have multiple Blade Enclosures with the SAN Switch modules, you will quick run into a problem with the licenses and will need to upgrade to either 4 switchs or full fabric.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Randy Corral
Occasional Visitor

Great thanks for the suggestions.

I am going to be running Windows 2003.