ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752857 Members
3658 Online
108790 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL585 Smart array failing self test. is 5i replaceable?

Cameron at Univ. of Was
Occasional Contributor

DL585 Smart array failing self test. is 5i replaceable?

Hello,

I am hoping someone here will be kind enough to point me in the right direction to help me to fix a DL585 G1 that is complaining that about an array accelerator self test error.

The system reports a Smart Array 5i error message upon boot.
The message I am getting is: "array accelerator self test error occurred, array accelerator is disabled". I have attached a picture of the error message on-screen.

I don't know much about the 585 hardware, although HP specs page indicates the smart array controller is on the motherboard. Although some of the pictures indicate that may be some components such as the battery, and maybe the RAM might be user replaceable.

If someone could point me in the right direction to the tools to start diagnosing this, and whether I can replace some smart array components to resolve this problem, it would be greatly appreciated. The system did have a three year warranty, but it is no longer under warranty, so any components I need to replace I will be purchasing off of Ebay.

I suppose my primary question is whether I can replace some components, and not the whole motherboard to resolve this problem?

Thanks for your help
Cameron
5 REPLIES 5
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

as you mention there are several components controller, battery, RAM (cache)

but most of the time is RAM (cache)

try this reseat cache(take it out put it back again) test server again if issues continues replace that cache

5i Plus cache memory module
260741-001

-----------
from troubleshooting HP guide
1798-Drive Array - Array Accelerator Self-Test Error Occurred...
...Array Accelerator is disabled.
Audible Beeps: None

Possible Cause: Array accelerator failed self-test. Depending on the array controller model, the cache may be disabled or the controller might not be usable until this problem is corrected.

Action: Replace the array accelerator daughter board.

....-> (which is the RAM(cache))

anything else let us know

regards

Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Cameron at Univ. of Was
Occasional Contributor

Well, reseating the memory card didn't fix the problem. So I've ordered another one to give it a shot.

Thank you for the pointer,.

Cameron
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Cameron,

If you are unfamiliar with the DL585 G1 layout and component replacement then use the online Services Media Library to check how to locate and replace parts for your system.

http://h20181.www2.hp.com/plmcontent/NACSC/SML/

Select "Servers" on the left then "HP Proliant DL Servers" and then your model "HP Proliant DL585 Server Series".
Now click the FRU Remove/Replace link and select the item of interest. For example "BBWC Assembly".

It's often useful to "see" how items are physically removed so that you can perform a task in the correct order if required.

If you go back to the links page, the "Technical Support" link will take you to the area where you can download the "Maintenance and Service Guide" for the DL585 G1, under "Manuals (guides,,,,,etc)" This will give you an itemised list of all the HP spare part numbers for your server.

I hope this helps.

Brian
TRS
Frequent Advisor

Dear,
If it is intigrated then not replacable.1st cheque wether it is on bord or not.If on board then replace the same.If integrated then replace entire system board.

Regads,
TRS
James_552

Cameron

I am having the same problem on the same exact server same screens. i also noticed that i have only have 4 gigs of ram instead of 32 gigs. Did this happen to you?

The raid is 5i+ and embedded so how to i rectify this problem?

I Recently installed 2008 x64 enterprise on the box if this makes a difference.

Any help from anyone out there would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
James