1753807 Members
7461 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL585 memory configuration

Rich Thornell
Occasional Contributor

DL585 memory configuration

We just purchased a DL585 G2 (413930-421) with 8 x 1 GB DIMMs (2 DIMMs in the first bank of each processor node). We also purchased an additional 8 x 2 GB DIMMs (4 x 408853-B21) to take the total RAM to 24 GB.

At first, we could not get the server to boot with all the RAM fitted. We followed all the rules so that there were two identical DIMMs per bank and also that the 2 GB DIMMs were in the slots further away from each processor. The configuration was:

CPU node 1: 2 x 2 GB, 2 x 1GB, 4 x empty
CPU node 2: 2 x 2 GB, 2 x 1GB, 4 x empty
CPU node 3: 2 x 2 GB, 2 x 1GB, 4 x empty
CPU node 4: 2 x 2 GB, 2 x 1GB, 4 x empty

The server would power on with green health indicators but nothing would appear on the display. The internal LED appeared to show that it was stuck in a loop (00, 01, 51, wait, repeat).

At this point the server would boot with either 8 x 1 GB or 8 x 2 GB but not with them all fitted together.

The configuration examples in the quickspecs have not been much help. Searching the 'net, via Google didn't throw up anything useful either.

After a lot of trial and error earlier today, I have got the server working with all 24 GB and the configuration is:

CPU node 1: 2 x 1 GB, 6 x empty
CPU node 2: 4 x 2 GB, 2 x 1GB, 2 x empty
CPU node 3: 2 x 2 GB, 2 x 1GB, 4 x empty
CPU node 4: 2 x 2 GB, 2 x 1GB, 4 x empty

Adding any more RAM to node 1 causes the same problem as above.

Where I can find more detail about memory configurations for the DL585 G2?

Can anyone explain to me why the configuration above is necessary to get it to work?

As I haven't found any answers yet...

Thanks

Rich
3 REPLIES 3
Basil Vizgin
Honored Contributor

Strange. May be you have one memory board or memory slot broken?
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello Rich,

strange behavior... is the memory made of HP or is it compatible memory?

I would log a call at the HP Support.

Regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
fred abounader

I have a DL585G2 and had 64G running. 4x4G in each of the 4 separate banks populating from the slots farthest from the CPU first. Planned on adding more 2G DIMMS later so used larger DIMMS (4G) in outside slots.

This ran like a champ for more than a month. However, I removed the memory and I put it back and I only have it working with 16G total configured 2x4G in CPU1 (slots 1A & 2A)and CPU2 (slots 9E and 10E) farthest slots.

So, I know it can be populated as described above but don;t know why it is an issue now.

Here is one thing I do notice. When the ROM Memory configuration page appears (which it does when the memory config is altered) it only shows slots 1A-17I. The other 15 slots (18I-25M) don't display. Have you noticed this with your machine?