108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DL585 smart Array 5i replacement

Stuart Burton

DL585 smart Array 5i replacement

Hi there,

The smart array 5i in my DL585 has develeoped an error

ACU reports the following:
ACU has encountered the following critical error while attempting to configure your controller:

The array accelerator on the current array controller is not functioning properly.

Parity errors occurred when trying to write data to the array accelerator's memory possibly due to a loose connection between the array accelerator and the current array controller. Array accelerator operations are permanently disabled.

For more information, run the Array Diagnostics Utility.

I have attached the ADU report,but in summary it reports:
SLOT 0 Smart Array 5i Controller ERROR REPORT:

Array accelerator status:
Permanently disabled
Warranty alert
Array accelerator parity write errors: 1

I have upgraded the firmware and reseated the battery cache, both of which have made no difference. We have tried to source a replacement battery cache as suggested in other threads, but been told by our vendor that the part has gone end of life and they are suggesting using a smart array 642 in it's place.

My question is can the current configuration on the disks be migrated onto the new controller and eliminate the need to re-create the logical disk or will I need to manually create the logical disk on the 642 and then restore from backup?
1 REPLY 1
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Re: DL585 smart Array 5i replacement

Not sure what your vendor is talking about. The cache module for the 5i can be found on the HP website (pn 260741-001):

http://h20141.www2.hp.com/hpparts/Search_Results.asp?mscssid=BB2B47E8F2754C8FA96E085730F02C1C&SearchInc=PartNumber

Having said that, if you put a 642 in the server it will detect the logical drive that is already configured. I don't see in your post whether you are running Windows or not. If so, you will likely need to run a repair, since the driver/registry keys already in the OS will not work for this controller.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..