108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL590/64 itanium will not boot

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jenn Davis
Occasional Advisor

DL590/64 itanium will not boot

I have a Compaq DL590/64 Itanium server at my company. When I turn it on, the server powers up and gives all green lights - but nothing ever appears on the display.

I have read the forums, and the general suggestion seems to be memory. I am using genuine Compaq memory, part # 110957-022. I have also checked to make sure the memory is in the right slots.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks!
9 REPLIES 9
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Jenn,

Please see attached led indicator section from the DL590 service manual.

The Interconnect/Status LED's (1 to 20)should yield something hopefully.

I hope this helps.

Brian
Jenn Davis
Occasional Advisor

Brian:

Thanks for the info - everything is showing green. I even opened the top case and powered on to watch the lights on the motherboard - all green.

Any other suggestions? Thanks so much!
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

the server was working fine? I mean any change?

try other troubleshooting?

- do you have ilo on that server to check is the video failed?
- try reseating components? power supply, processors, memory modules, PCI cards?
- also try swapping components
- remove any attached device to the server
- minimum configuration(minimum processors, memory, no PCI cards )
- clear NVRAM

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Jenn,

I just had a thought about your server. If it has a RILOE II (Remote Inside Lights-Out) module installed in a PCI slot for remote access then remove it and connect the video to the normal connector on the system board.

This card if installed may be causing your problem.

I helped an engineer with a similar fault today on a DL760 G2 server.

I hope this helps.

Brian

Jenn Davis
Occasional Advisor

In response to Karlo's suggestion:

- do you have ilo on that server to check is the video failed? (don't have ILO)

- try reseating components? power supply, processors, memory modules, PCI cards?
Done, done, done, done, and done!! :-)

- also try swapping components
No components available to swap

- remove any attached device to the server
None attached

- minimum configuration(minimum processors, memory, no PCI cards )
First step I took

- clear NVRAM
How do you do this on that server?

FYI - I have no documentation, manuals, etc on this server. I inherited it when I took over the server environment. Was told it worked when it was last turned on several months ago.

Any manuals that anyone has would be greatly appreciated! thank you very much!
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Jenn,

Most documentation and drivers etc. for the DL590/64 can be downloaded from here.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Home.jsp?тМй=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=254895тМй=en&cc=us

I noticed that the Maintenance and Service Guide is not listed among the "manuals" section which is unusual as it should be listed since it's one of the manuals you may require for reference. If I can find an alternative link to it I will post it in another reply.

Regards,

Brian

Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Jenn,

There doesn't appear to be an online link for the Maintenance and Service Guide although hopefully someone may provide one.

I have the DL590/64 MSG document in PDF format but it's too large to attach in the forum (1mb limit). If no-one can provide a link in the next day or so then send me an e-mail and I will forward it on by e-mail or upload it to my website so you can access it.
brian.murdoch at hotmail.co.uk

I don't want to create a direct link in the forum to my e-mail address so replace at with @ above.

Regards,

Brian

HP_Sammy
Trusted Contributor

Hi Jenn,

Try a different monitor
Bypass KVM
Remove all memory sticks and then try to boot check for any beep sound if no beep then possible systemboard failure.
And if it beeps try connect remotely using iLO or some other way if u can then its a onboard video issue thats again mobo.
Try min config ie minimum ram and 1 proc at a time remove any pci cards.

Cheers :)
Jenn Davis
Occasional Advisor

Thanks to everyone that contributed - it's looking more and more like an invalid CMOS configuration problem.

Brian - if you could send me the service manual for the DL59/64, it would be GREAT - there's a series of DIP switches on the main board that may help me out of this situation. (I'll send you a request w/ my return email address directly)

Thanks!