cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL740 & Hyperthreading multiple processors

Darin Race
Occasional Visitor

DL740 & Hyperthreading multiple processors

We have a DL740 with 8 Xeon processors installed. We originally ordered the server with 4 processors, and recently installed the 4 processor upgrade. In its original configuration with hyperthreading turned on, Windows 2003 Server Enterprise showed 8 processors, which I would expect. After we installed the processor upgrade, we left hyperthreading tunred on in the BIOS, however nothing at the OS level is indicating this since I still only see 8 processors. I have checked within the HP SMHP diagnostics, and it shows hyperthreading turned off.

According to a Microsoft white paper that I have, Server 2003 Enterprise should recognize up to 8 physical and/or 16 virtual processors. Why am I not seeing this within the OS? Is this something that requires a BIOS or driver upgrade?
5 REPLIES
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Re: DL740 & Hyperthreading multiple processors

Darin, I've got a pre-production 740 in my lab with 8 processors and hyperthreading enabled and WS03 EE shows 16. Not sure when the last ROM update was, but that's always a good idea...
Darin Race
Occasional Visitor

Actually, it turned out to be the OS option in the BIOS ws set to Windows 2000 Server, instead of Windows Server 2003 as it should have been.

Does anyone know what else having the incorrect OS option may affect? The server just seems to run a lot better now.
Dave Behler
Frequent Advisor

Is there a way through HPSIM to report on what this BIOS setting is set to for each server? We've performed a lot of in-place upgrades so I'm sure we don't have this set correctly since we weren't changing it during the upgrade.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

The CONREP utility from the Windows version of the SmartStart Scripting Toolkit can be used to capture the configuration of a server. You can use HP SIM to distribute the jobs to each server and aggregate the information.
Dave Behler
Frequent Advisor

Maybe this is a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway. I know that I could use HPSIM to distribute & run conrep, but how will it aggregate the data?