cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL740 boot error recovery

weq92f
Occasional Advisor

DL740 boot error recovery

We have an HP DL740 server running Windows 2003 Ent. Edition that is failing to boot with an ntoskrnl.exe not found or corrupt error. 

The system volume consists of two 36 GB drives in a mirrored set.  I want to access the Windows recovery console in order to attempt a repair but the Windows repair option from the Windows CD reports No disks found in the system.  When I boot with the SmartStart CD and access ACU the arrays and drives are all present and appear to be in good working order.  Also if I start a Windows install from the SmartStart menu it lists the volume as a choice to install Windows on.  

I suspect that the Windows disk does not have the necessary SCSI driver to be able to mount the drives.  I tried downloading a driver for Smart Array 6400 series controller and placed the files on a floppy and pressed F6 during to select an addition SCSI driver during the Windows setup and it listed the series that we have.  When I selected the driver off the floppy it informed me that Windows already had a driver for this device and wanted to know whether I wanted to use the selected one or the one included with the Windows CD.  I requested it to use the downloaded driver by it failed with an exception error.  It reports that an File cpqarray.sys caused an unexpected error (18) at line 3672 in d:\srv03rtm\base\boot\setup\setup.c.

Can’t seem to get to the Windows recovery console to make repairs... looking for any suggestions?