108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL980 G7 power issue

SOLVED
Go to solution
chaney56
Advisor

DL980 G7 power issue

We have recently received some dl980 g7 servers.
If I power down the server and remove one of the processor memory trays, when I reseat it the server loses all power. I have had to disconnect the power cables and reseat the power supplies to get the power available indication on the Power on/Standby button. The servers are fully populated with cpus and memory, but only have 4 power supplies. So I know they are not power redundant, but I don't think that is the problem. Has anyone seen this?

Thanks
Mike
4 REPLIES 4
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor
Solution

You should unplug the server before removing components. It could be a safety feature that prevents the server from powering without the tray in place. Just like removing fans in some older models.
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Maintenance and Service guide.
Page 26
Power down the server.
Step 4: Disconnect powercords.

Also there's a warning at the beginning af the procedure, stating that power cords must be removed.

Do not remove Memory, cpu's power modules, pci cards etc. without removing power cords.
Unless, these parts are hotswap or warmswap.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Without memory trays, the CPUs should not function. You should verify what is hot swap and warm swap. Drives are. Some slots. Memory and CPUs should be done with the server off and unplugged.
chaney56
Advisor

Yeah, I know the processor trays are not hot swappable. I just didn't expect to have to unplug the power supplies before removing them.
Thanks for the feedback.

Mike