ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752810 Members
5871 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Debian on HP Proliant DL320e Gen8 v2: Hardware RAID not recognized.

Holamundo

Debian on HP Proliant DL320e Gen8 v2: Hardware RAID not recognized.

Hi all, I have read a lot of documentation from HP (user manuals, specs, array storage manual, etc) so I have some knowledge of my Proliant server. I also have a great experience on debian, but I fail to master RAID issues.

I want to install debian on the aforementioned server, which is configured to use RAID 1 with the ACU utility.

The problem is that debian installer doesn't recognize the RAID configuration, althoug the cciss driver si loaded.

The configuration of the server is as follows:

• BIOS - P80 - 3/28/2014
  • 1 procesors 4 cores, Intel(r) Xeon E2-1220 v3 @ 3.10GHz
  • HP Dynamic Smart Array B120i Raid controller (v3.54.0) in Embbedded Slot
    • SATA Array A. Logical Drive 1, configured as RAID 1
      • 4 TB SATA HDD 1|:1
      • 4 TB SATA HDD 2|:2

So far, I have the following questions:

* Must I install the propietary HP drivers (hpdsa-ubuntu) for debian to recognize the hardware RAID?

* If I rule out the hardware RAID and go on with sofware RAID, must I disable hardware RAID?

Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: Debian on HP Proliant DL320e Gen8 v2: Hardware RAID not recognized.

@Holamundo wrote:

Hi all, I have read a lot of documentation from HP (user manuals, specs, array storage manual, etc) so I have some knowledge of my Proliant server. I also have a great experience on debian, but I fail to master RAID issues.

I want to install debian on the aforementioned server, which is configured to use RAID 1 with the ACU utility.

The problem is that debian installer doesn't recognize the RAID configuration, althoug the cciss driver si loaded.

The configuration of the server is as follows:

• BIOS - P80 - 3/28/2014
  • @1 procesors 4 cores, Intel(r) Xeon E2-1220 v3 @ 3.10GHz
  • HP Dynamic Smart Array B120i Raid controller (v3.54.0) in Embbedded Slot
    • SATA Array A. Logical Drive 1, configured as RAID 1
      • 4 TB SATA HDD 1|:1
      • 4 TB SATA HDD 2|:2

So far, I have the following questions:

* Must I install the propietary HP drivers (hpdsa-ubuntu) for debian to recognize the hardware RAID?

* If I rule out the hardware RAID and go on with sofware RAID, must I disable hardware RAID?

Thanks in advance.

The 'cciss' block device driver hasn't been used on ProLiant in some time now. It was replaced by the 'hpsa' SCSI driver.

The B120i Dynamic Smart Array Controller requires a closed source driver 'hpvsa' that is not available for Ubuntu/Debian systems. In RBSU configure the controller as SATA AHCI instead of B120i RAID

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!