cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decoding Proliant 10 digit Serial Number

SOLVED
Go to solution

Decoding Proliant 10 digit Serial Number

Hello, about six months ago I found documentation on what each charecter in the new 10 digit Proliant serial numbers stand for. Unfortunately I can no longer find it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
6 REPLIES
Doug de Werd
Honored Contributor

Re: Decoding Proliant 10 digit Serial Number

I couldn't find it either. This was mildly helpful, but not exactly what you are looking for:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=PSD_PCN1555W

Thanks,
Doug
Expert in ProLiant Clusters
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Robert,

It's not easy with most things going from 12-digit(Compaq) to 10-digit(HP) layout but I hope the attached file will help.

Proliants are Industry Standard Servers and come under the ISS product range.

The file includes the older 12-digit Proliant decode as well.

I hope this helps.

Brian

This was exactly the thing I was looking for. All I needed, today, was the ISS portion, but it'll be good to have the others on hand for future reference. Thanks!

Provided document included the information I was looking for, sort of.

I have realized the information seems to apply to the DL380 G3's and DL585 purchased last fall, as they were delivered with 10-digit serial numbers.

However, the BL20p G3's received in the same time frame have 10 digit serial numbers that do not seem to conform to this standard. One example is USE443A0F5. Of the 80+ servers the pattern seems to be: the first through fifth, seventh and eighth places do not change. It most closely resembles the HP ESG serial number formula from the document however the year portion would be "44" and the week portion would always end in an "A". Neither of these seem to match what is indicated. Any addition guidance that can be provided would be appreciated.

Thank you!

With a little more digging I've determined the file provided previously works well for Proliant servers that have been transitioned to a NON-standard 10 digit serial number (which included both the DL380 G3 and DL585). The BL20p G3 serial numbers are supposed to be utilizing the 'new' HP standard serial number format. If anyone can confirm the format of that standard, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Robert,

I think it must be the PSG standard which has been adopted.

CC = Country of manufacture =US
S = Site Code =E (Houston I think)
YWW= Year and Week = 443 (October 2004)
ZZZZ= Unique identifier for product built within the date of manufacture = A0F5

Since the model codes for BL20p G3 are MKT1 through MKT5, these would normally be within the serial number, so now they are using the unique build identifier instead. This doesn't make it all that easy to decode since in the past you could always tell what model of server was involved from that part of the serial number.

Regards,

Brian