7663 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Delete an Array without data loss

M4Biz
Occasional Visitor

Delete an Array without data loss

Hi!

I've a Proliant DL380 G5 server with two 73GB SAS disks in RAID1 array.

The server is a VMware  ESXi 5.1 server

The question is: is possible to delete the array without loose data stored: OS, VMs, etc. so that I have one disk with original OS and VMs installed and working and a second - free - 73 GB SAS disk, available to store other, new, VMs?

In other words: if I delete the array when I reboot the server, the ESXi server OS start without problem with all VMs?

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: Delete an Array without data loss

Deleting the array will very likely wipe out all of your data.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Deleteing an array theoretically wipes out the data. If you create a new array exactly the same, I've seen the old data still present.  After deleting you would then need to create a new array with just single disks, during this proceess the previous data would be clobbered.

This paper tells you how to break a mirror using ACU.

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.BINARYPORTLET/public/kb/docDisplay/resource.process/?spf_p.tpst=kbDocDisplay_ws_BI&spf_p.rid_kbDocDisplay=docDisplayResURL&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&spf_p.rst_kbDocDisplay=wsrp-resourceState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c00378986-8%257CdocLocale%253D&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

Standard disclaimer. Have a known good backup before you start messing around with array confgurations

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
David Orwig
Regular Advisor

I second what Jimmy says, I have deleted  RAID 1 sets and then rebuilt them with the same drives (to do a slick and clean reload) and have at times, seen the data still there. Want you want to try is "breaking" the mirror, again as he says. I did not know you could do that with the older controllers and I know there are some caveats to the new controllers as to what you can do if you have (or don't have ) the BBWC installed.

Backup

Backup

Backup

The gouge he posted looks exactly what you need.

M4Biz
Occasional Visitor

Hi, many thanks to all.
I thinks is better and safest to follow another way and don't breack the mirror : al least 7 years of misfortune ;)