5348 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Deploy Hp DL 180 G5

Nagori
Advisor

Deploy Hp DL 180 G5

Hi

I want to installed Win 2003 on my new severver DL 180 G5 but I cannot do installation with smartstart

Does it correct that DL 180 G5 does not support smart start?

I am trying to create two logical disk from boot menu but I cannot create two I can create only one logical disk

My requirement is that I have two 146 GB hard disk and want create two logical disk first is 62 GB and second is what ever left, since this server not supporting SmartStart how can I do this ?

Nagori

7 REPLIES 7
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

yes 100 Series does not support Smartstart at all

you have to press F8 and configure the RAID level

which controller you are talking about?

bye
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Gary Antonio Benavides_1
Frequent Advisor

What kind of hard drives and storage controller do you have? Is the embedded SATA and non-hot plugable SATA HDD? This controller is capable of doing RAID 1 or RAID 0. You need two hard drives per logical drive. Check document Attached just in case.
If it's not fun, you're not doing it right
Gary Antonio Benavides_1
Frequent Advisor

You need to keep in mind that in the BIOS you are going to create a logical drive, at the hardware level, but you can create different partitions in that volume during the windows Installation. Check the step number 7 on the following link

http://www.petri.co.il/install_windows_2003.htm
Christian B.
Super Advisor

Hi Azeem,

If the server has an SATA raid controller follow the steps below
Create a driver disk by extracting the contents of the Smart Component to a floppy diskette.
If creating an array, press Ctrl+A or F8 when prompted to enter the BIOS Setup utility.
Press F6 when prompted to install a third-party driver.

Note: When F6 is active, a prompt appears at the bottom of the screen. Press F6 immediately├в you only have 5 seconds. If you miss your chance, restart this Windows installation to complete it correctly. Otherwise, Windows will not recognize your controller.

Insert the driver disk you created in Step 1 and wait until prompted to install a driver.
Press "S" to specify that the driver is on the floppy disk, then press Enter.
When the HP Embedded SATA RAID driver is found, press Enter. Follow the remaining on-screen instructions to complete your installation.

OR if there is a Smart Array Controller try the steps below
Step 1. Power on the system.
Step 2. Press F8 when the prompt appears on the screen during boot to start
Step 3. Create, view or delete logical drives as needed.
Step 4. When you are finished configuring drives, press ESC to exit ORCA.
Creating A Logical Drive
Follow these steps to create a logical drive using ORCA:
Step 1. From the Main Menu, choose ├в Create Logical Drive.├в .
Step 2. Select the physical drive(s) to be included the logical drive in the Available Physical Drives section.
Step 3. Press TAB to select the Raid Configurations section, and select the RAID type for the logical drive.
See ├в Summary of RAID Methods├в on page 20 for a summary of the important features of the RAID
configurations that are supported by the Smart Array Controllers. See ├в Choosing a RAID Method├в
on page 21 for information to help you determine which option is best for your computing
environment.
Step 4. Press TAB to select the Spare section, and assign spare drive(s), if desired.
Step 5. Press ENTER to create the logical drive. A summary of your choices will appear.
Step 6. Press F8 to save the configuration. A confirmation screen will appear.
Step 7. Press ENTER to acknowledge that the configuration was saved and return to the ORCA Main Menu.

Hope all this information helps...
Gokul Chandola
Trusted Contributor

Hi,
DL180 does not support SmartStart.

Use the bias configuration.

Regards,
Gokul Chandola
There is always some scope for improvment.
Nagori
Advisor

Hi

it is embeded controller and I two SATA hard disk

I have follow the following path

Step 1. Power on the system.
Step 2. Press F8 when the prompt appears on the screen during boot to start
Step 3. Create logical drives

But I want to create two logical drives first is 62GB and second whatever space is ledft

But I cannot from above procedure only I can create one logical disk

Is there any way in DL 180 G5 that I can create two logical disk before installation of OS

Nagori

Gary Antonio Benavides_1
Frequent Advisor

In order to have a RIAD 1 you need to have two hard drives. If you select RAID 1 it will take both hard drives and it will create a logical drive of 146GB in that case. There is no way to have two logical drive with that controller using two hard drives. As I mention previously, just create two partitions during the windows installation, this way you can have two partitions of 62GB or the space you want. If 1 hard drive fails both partitions are going to be up and running, same information on both hard drives.