1753797 Members
7254 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Deployment of Proliant Support Packs and BIOS upgrades

josephK

Deployment of Proliant Support Packs and BIOS upgrades

All,

If this question appears in another forum, please accept my apologies as the first post should have been in this forum. Now my question.

I need to install the latest PSP (Proliant Support Packs) to a number of servers and also upgrade the firmware on them. They are all DLXXX servers.

When deploying a PSP does the server require a reboot after and also when performing BIOS upgrades does this also require a reboot or is this done when the server is offline?

Any help on this would be fantastic.

Cheers.
4 REPLIES 4
Albert Austin
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

When installing PSP some installations do need a reboot, it is very much advised to do it. Check out the link below for more info
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00472061/c00472061.pdf
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Short answer:
PSP typically require reboot;
server BIOS update and SmartArray fimware update ALWAYS require reboot, ILO firmware update typically doesn't require reboot.
SCSI disk firmware and some SmartArray controllers firmware maybe updated only when server offline.
josephK

Albert and Igor thanks for your speedy replies. The info has been a real help.

Cheers.
Caster Troy
Regular Advisor

I did this in the last month for 7 DL580 G2 and 3 DL380 G3 for BIOS update u need to cold start the server whereas for support pack u need a single restart, this also depends on what OS u r using
Evil Has Its Winning Ways