6937 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: \Device\Scsi\symmpi1, did not respond within the timeout period

ahmedsm
Occasional Advisor

\Device\Scsi\symmpi1, did not respond within the timeout period

Guys,
We have BE12 installed on DL380 G5 windows server 2003 R2, and external ulterium 920 device plugged to scsi card (LSI Ultra320 SCSI 2000 series), suddenly my backups start failing with the error message: \Device\Scsi\symmpi1, did not respond within the timeout period... i even changed the scsi card with new one and changed also the external device/ cables but still getting the same error associated with an event id 9, tried updating the driver/firmware but it seems that i have the latest already installed. Can you please help?
3 REPLIES 3
siny
Occasional Advisor

You should still be able to see both the scsi card and ultrium tape drive in the device manager before continuing. Else you should have a hardware issue.

If this is not a "new setup", install the Library and Tapetools and perform the following diagnostic tests on the unit in the order:

1) stop your BE12 services and set to manual startup
2) start LTT, perform a manual scan
3) the supported device should be in BLUE
4) select the ultrium3 device (if it is a library, select the library controller)
5) select the "TEST" button

Perform both device analysis test and use a new tape for the LTO drive assessment test. Read the output in the results tab for a description of the tests results.

Regards
ahmedsm
Occasional Advisor

Thank you Siny, i've done the tests and i got one error: ''The Short Erase operation failed to complete'' i've used a new tape and cleaned the tape device before starting the tests.
ahmedsm
Occasional Advisor

I've been able to fix this problem finally by forcing the server to accept the latest LSI driver from http://tinyurl.com/2rmvxt because if you do normal driver update the system will not detect any changes.
This is to fix the symmpi error (Eventid 9), but i found another problem with my tape drive that has been fixed after several cleans. Thank you for your ideas.