ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748145 Members
3617 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Difference between: Smart Start & PSP (Proliant Support Pack) & HP SPP (Service Pack for Proliant)

Yaboto
Super Advisor

Difference between: Smart Start & PSP (Proliant Support Pack) & HP SPP (Service Pack for Proliant)

Please,

What is the Difference between:

1- Smart Start

2- PSP (Proliant Support Pack) &

3- HP SPP (Service Pack for Proliant)

I want to install Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.4 OS. I am also downloading HP Service pack for Proliant (version February 2013).

What else would I need for the OS installation ?

Thanks & Best Regards

Yaboto

7 REPLIES 7
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Re: Difference between: Smart Start & PSP (Proliant Support Pack) & HP SPP (Service Pack for

Hi,

Smartstart is the boot CD that will help you with the (assisted or manual) installation of your server. This up to G7 servers. From Gen8 on you must use Intelligent Provisioning which is build-in inside the ILO4 from every Gen8 server. Just push F10 when booting up the server.

SPP Service Pack for Proliant is replacing the PSP Proliant Support Pack and Firmware DVD bundled together.

So SPP is always the way to go except for older Proliant servers G4 and before and Windows 2003 servers. SPP supports only Windows 2008 and higher... All details around support can be found on www.hp.com/go/spp

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
TVVJ
HPE Pro

Re: Difference between: Smart Start & PSP (Proliant Support Pack) & HP SPP (Service Pack for

ProLiant Support Pack (PSP) contains drivers and supporting software for the server

SmartStart CD enables deploying operating system on the server by preparing it with appropriate software and post installation install the PSP automatically should one choose to.

As stated above by Bart, SmartStart CD can be used for servers up to HP ProLiant G7 servers. From HP ProLiant Gen8 servers, use HP Intelligent Provisioning to deploy operating system. If the version of HP Intelligent Provisioning is an older version, then download the latest version of HP Service Pack for ProLiant (HP SPP) to update HP Intelligent Provisioning by booting the server from the latest version of HP SPP.

HP Intelligent Provisioning can be run by restarting/starting the server and during POST prompt and press key “F10” to launch it.

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

Yaboto
Super Advisor

1-

Please where to download the latest Smart Start CD for HP Proliant DL980 G7. I want to boot from Smart Start CD to install the Red Hat Enterprise Linux OS CD.

In case I don't use Smart Start CD prior to the installation, what would I be missing ?

2-

IS HP Service Pack for Proliant SPP, bootable ?

Thanks

TVVJ
HPE Pro

SPP is a bootable image.

You may download the SPP from the following link:

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails/?sp4ts.oid=4268505&spf_p.tpst=swdMain&spf_p.prp_swdMain=wsrp-navigationalState%3Didx%253D%257CswItem%253DMTX_4419f014d3894b13bb0b1c353c%257CswEnvOID%253D4064%257CitemLocale%253D%257CswLang%253D%257Cmode%253D%257Caction%253DdriverDocument&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vig...

SPP ensures that the firmware and the required management agents, drivers are available easily to be installed from a single media.

The operating system may be installed and other software may be installed separately as desired. The link to download server software:

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/psi/swdHome/?lang=en&cc=us&sp4ts.oid=4268505

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

Yaboto
Super Advisor

Please,

How to apply the SPP ?

I should boot from it first first as it is done with the traditional Smart Start ? or

after installing the Red Hat enterprise Linux 6.4 OS, I would executen it ?

Thanks

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

There are 2 ways you can use the SPP. You can use it to boot your server with to install all the latest firmwares and patches on the server. This is the offline mode.

You can also let it run inside the operating system (online mode) so that you update/install all the latest drivers and agents inside the OS.

As mentioned above, Smartstart will help you with the installation of the OS on the server, SPP does not install your server...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

If you can create a simple array with ORCA (pressing F8 during POST) you can skip the SmartStart boot, as Linux installations are a manual process. After you have the array created, just boot the OS media. When the OS installation is complete you can install the SPP from media, or instead of downloading the SPP, you can add the SDR (software delivery repository) and install the SPP components using native tools (/apt/yum/zypper) over the wire.

http://downloads.linux.hp.com for more information about SDR

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!