8460 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Different CPU steppings

SOLVED
Go to solution
Daniel Roberts_1

Different CPU steppings

Working with an ML370G2 that was shipped w/one Compaq PIII 1.4Ghz CPU. Added a second Compaq PIII. Loaded WIN2K Server and in system information within computer management I'm seeing the two cpu's listed as different steppings. The original CPU is a stepping 1, the added is a stepping 4.

Wondering if this is a non-issue or possibly an issue that could come up later with certain applications. This server will most likely be running telephony based apps and hardware such as Dialogic.

4 REPLIES 4
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Daniel,
Under the normal circumstances, the stepping of both CPUs should be same. I am not sure if you'r having any issues right now. But if you do then please contact the Tech Support at 1-800-652-6672 and the issue shall be resolved.
Regards,
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor
Solution

HP supports N + N processor steppings on the Proliant line of servers (N = a processor having shipped as a new or spare part from HP).

The firmware on the server is written to support different steppings. This message in the event viewer is also informational and doesn't indicate a problem.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Daniel Roberts_1

Thank you for the responses.

Did not actually get any messages in the Event Viewer concerning the differences in steppings. And not experiencing any problems.

Guido Elia
Frequent Advisor

Don't forget to place the lower step CPU as first