5832 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Different type of RAID on the same Controller of Added G5

Alir
Advisor

Different type of RAID on the same Controller of Added G5

Dear Friends,

I think I have a problem in my new array configuration.

I have a ProLiant DL380 G5 with smart array controller P400 512MB

2 years ago I filled this server with 3 SAS hard with following specification

3*146 10K 3G RAID 5 in Bay 1&2&3 (Array Accelerator is disabled manually)

nowadays I have decided to increase my storage by adding 3 new hard with following spec:

3*300GB SAS 10 K 6G (RAID 5 ) (Arraye Accelerator is enable )

I know which my new hard will work with 3G speed.

But my problem

After I added this hard and create a new array set in level 5 (RAID 5) it takes too long to back to home page of smart start and after 6 hours which I restart this server manually when I check my health of logical drives it shows me which new array set have an error on parity proceeding in queue and it may takes time to complete and it explicit told me when this process completes my performance will be improved.

I want to know is it a normal reflex?! Or I have a problem in my configuration!?

I read many documents which all of them write which it is possible to have a few array whit different RAID level on same controller on a server.

Please help to clear my ambiguous thinking :(

Thanks and thanks all of my friend

8 REPLIES 8
Louis Henninger_1
Regular Advisor

To answer your question, Yes the warning about "Parity initialization has been queued" is normal. This will start when the OS accesses the new RAIDset you created.

If you still have problems accessing the new Logical Drive, I would update F/W on SmartArray  (Controller and Drives) and Server BIOS.

Access the ACU and create a new array, then Logical Drive.

Alir
Advisor

Thanks for your early reply

Server could create the new array and this new logical drive could be access over my OS but unfortunately the Green light of those new hard turn on without any blink or interrupt and I think It means something is writing on those hard or something like that ! I want to know is this a normal ? Because of after 7 years experience with working HP servers I haven't seen such as this incident which a Green light turn on without blink for more than 24 Hours for parity processing and initializing !

Can you clear me about this problem !?

thx my friend

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Can you please give the exact error message?

"error on parity proceeding in queue" - is not the same as what Louis wrote.

Supposedly your array is re-checking everything from parity. This takes a long time.

If you get into ADU or ACU maybe that will give you the status (you can get into these from your OS).
Alir
Advisor

ok , it's a good idea, sorry , I have to write exact error at first post.

I will post it in 15 min !

thanks

Alir
Advisor

This is the error of my ACU scan

Background parity initialization is currently queued on in progress on this logical drive. If background parity initialization is queued, it will start when I/O is performed on the drive. When background parity initialization completes, the performance of the logical drive will improve.

This error reports on the logical Drive 2.

There is a point.

Right now, I disable cache array accelerator on this drive and right now the Green Light start to blink.

I think it's a good achievement after 2 days.

Help me more

Thanks all my friend.

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Have you formatted/partitioned/put something on logical drive 2?
Alir
Advisor

Hi again

Yep , I partitioned and format this logical drive 2 at first !!!

But right now , I think every thing is ok ! and I think the only thing which can change this status is refered to status of Cache array accelrator.

On the forst logical drive it was disabled due to some reason but on this new logical drive we enable this feature and I think this is the reality of this error.

I will reply more if I can find new thing !

Goodi gOOdi Luck

Alir
Advisor

Hi again

why ? why ?

The new array set all of the time Green lamp turn on and do not blink but when start to write on this array set start to blink

please help

after 3 days keeps turn on Green light