ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753287 Members
5213 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Disable Embedded Sata raid and B110i SATA RAID Controller?

paco88
Occasional Contributor

Disable Embedded Sata raid and B110i SATA RAID Controller?

HP ProLiant ML110 G7 Base with this configuration :

- 8 TB RAID 10 (4 * 2 TB)

- 32 GB RAM

Tried loading SLES 11 SP1 and Windows 2012R2.  I have tried loading the drivers but not possible during installation.

I would like to disable the B110i SATA RAID Controller and just not use it since he drivers it requires are not being loaded during the OS install process.  The challenge I am getting is that when the install of OS completes and reboots the system.  The server does not detect where the OS is to boot.  I do not believe the OS is being loaded properly to the RAID logical drive ran by the HP Smart Array B110i SATA RAID Controller.

It has been very difficult finding a solution to make this HP Proliant Server to work.  I have deleted the logical drive and disable the B110i SATA RAID Controller and disabled RAID mode in F9 Advanced Option and enabled SATA AHCI Support.

Is this the correct path to go in order to properly disable the B110i SATA RAID Controller?

1 REPLY 1
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: Disable Embedded Sata raid and B110i SATA RAID Controller?

@paco88 wrote:

HP ProLiant ML110 G7 Base with this configuration :

- 8 TB RAID 10 (4 * 2 TB)

- 32 GB RAM

Tried loading SLES 11 SP1 and Windows 2012R2.  I have tried loading the drivers but not possible during installation.

I would like to disable the B110i SATA RAID Controller and just not use it since he drivers it requires are not being loaded during the OS install process.  The challenge I am getting is that when the install of OS completes and reboots the system.  The server does not detect where the OS is to boot.  I do not believe the OS is being loaded properly to the RAID logical drive ran by the HP Smart Array B110i SATA RAID Controller.

It has been very difficult finding a solution to make this HP Proliant Server to work.  I have deleted the logical drive and disable the B110i SATA RAID Controller and disabled RAID mode in F9 Advanced Option and enabled SATA AHCI Support.

Is this the correct path to go in order to properly disable the B110i SATA RAID Controller?

If you want to just use the controller as a plain SATA controller, you change the controller from RAID mode to SATA AHCI Support. as you have described.   If you want to use the RAID option, you need to inject a driver during installation. The driver disk you need is here https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_58b757f71aa64d828d4d458ccb#tab3  If you look at he installation instructions tab it tells you how to use the driver.  The most important part is to blacklist the ahci module using the broken_modules=ahci statement on the boot line.  

Many just use AHCI SATA mode and then use the RAID functions built into the OS.  While this driver does work, it is a proprietary driver and kernel specific. 

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!