1753755 Members
4960 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Disabling Damage Hard Drive

Intellivin
Occasional Contributor

Disabling Damage Hard Drive

I have an HP Proliant ML570 G2 server, a couple of my hardisk have gone bad. Is it possible for me to disable the bad harddrives to prevent corruption or a system crash ? ?

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
Bill Speers
Occasional Advisor

first things first have you backed up the system?

yes its possible but if you're running a redundant raid set you should be able physically pull the disk out while the system is live then replace the disk and rebuild the raid set.
Intellivin
Occasional Contributor

Thanks alot

and the answer is yes and yes

but in the meantime if i want to continue system operation but with those hard drives sort of disabled, is that possible ? ?
Greybeard
Esteemed Contributor

some more info on the raid config would help but if the drives are truly failed then you can pull them out about 3 inches so they are not connected to the server but still block the slots to preserve airflow (they can get pretty hot otherwise). Depending on the set up it seems odd that 2 disks are failed unless they are in seperate raid sets or different parts of a mirror. Also sometimes depending on the problem they may rebuild and come on-line if you remove and re-insert them. Do this ONE AT A TIME though, and give them a while to either rebuild or fail again.

Tried the re-building method but it seems like the drives have truly gone bad.Will go head and try keeping them out until they get replaced.

thanks