4433 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Disabling On-board Video for Proliants

SOLVED
Go to solution
sam mehrabian

Disabling On-board Video for Proliants

Has anyone experimented disabling the lousy 8MB On-board Video of any G3 Proliant servers and successfully managed to put in a 3rd Party 128mb Video Card.

If so, please let me know:

1. How (Dip Switches, etc.) you did it?
2. What Operating System? Challenges?
3. Have you noticed any improvement in performance, especially if you use the server as an "application server", using Terminal Server Service and thin clients?

Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6
Terry Auspitz
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Hi Sam,

I have not tried replacing the video card in a Compaq server but I can tell you that it will not make any difference in performance for clients attached via Terminal Services. Windows uses a separate video driver to render video to attached clients. Changing the video card will only benefit a user at the console.

-Terry
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Please specify the model for any suggestion on same. Where there is no option part for 128 video card for server. Where as there as option to disable the vedio on proliants but which model you refing to.

Regards,
Prashant S
Nothing is impossible
Thanassis Petmezas

Hi
I have the same problem with my ML110 G3.
I want to disable the on board video 16MB and install a PCI video card 128MB.
I am using XP.

Did you get a solution?
Please notify me, either via the forum or even directly
thanassis.petmezas@cosmo-one.gr
Keith Romberg
Frequent Advisor

I have a ML570 G1 and I have tried to disable the onboard video without success. I changed to the dip switch to 'disable' on the onboard video, but Windows keeps finding it. It does diable in windows and allow the second card( ATI Radeon 9200se ) to work and/or be detected. I found that the second card had to be in the first slot. Funny this is that the ATI install package does not find the Radeon either.......

Keith
Christian Barbie

Hello lads,

well I am having problems with that too...
Actually they (from HP) say that u dont need to disable the onboard video as the server will look automatically for a third party one... I am having torrid times trying to install a 256 MB video card in it...
I tried disbling the onboard but never got it to work...
Jaipaul Vilkhu

Has anyone resolved this issue yet? I am having the same problem on my proliant ml110 g3.

Thanks