1751770 Members
4394 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Disabling the embedded network card

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Disabling the embedded network card

I have attempted to disable the embedded NIC on my new DL380 however Windows 2000 still detects it. The BIOS shows that the embedded NIC is disbled and the BIOS configuration has been saved. The Gigabit card that I installed in PCI Slot 2 works fine so this is just a nuisance and won't adversly affect anything but I would still like to clean this up.
3 REPLIES 3
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Disabling the embedded network card

This happens on other things as well, for example if you have a Remote Insight Board installed and disable the onboard graphics, Windows 2000 detects both cards and then shows a problem with the onboard adapter! Very strange.

It may be possible to disable that item in your hardware profile (like you can in Windows 9x/Me) so Windows just ignores it, but I have not tried it myself.

Sorry, but unless somebody at Compaq has another suggestion, that is the only thing I can think of.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Thanks. Best I can do is disable it with the Device Manager. At least that subdues the network icon so it is less annoying than the icon with a big red X on it.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Remember folks - Win2k is "Plug and Play"... Disable it in the hardware profile for that system.