5208 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Disappointed with new ML350 G6 fan noise

WebbTech

Sebastien,

Thank you for your input here.

I have found HP support to be completely useless. This is really sad when you have to resort to a forum to find solutions to brand new warranty equipment.

Can you please elaborate more on removed the 2 fan blank pieces? We are keen to find a solution to this issue.

Thanks again

I McWilliams
Advisor

Sebastien,

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried removing the blanks but it made no difference.

We are running with no disks so as you can see on the above attachment the storage area temperature is marked as N/A.

Can I ask what speed % your fans are now operating at?

WebbTech,

The fan blanks are the two black plastic covers that block the holes where fans 3 & 4 would go.

Regards,
Iain
Sebastien Rich

So I give more details:

When we have the noise problem, the fans are at 60 - 70%, and the temperature problem for me is on the storage bay (as seen in SMH: 59├В┬░C).

So I unplugged the 2 fan blanks and then I got a correct temperature (30├В┬░C) and now the fan speed is on 16% and 23%.

Some precision: I have 4 disks @ 15K, 2 fans on the backside, 1 Ultrium drive, and a P212 smart array card. The rest of the configuration is normal.

I pass the same BIOS (D22) and then I have a little less noise...

Don't ask me why the BIOS help on the fan speed, absolutely no idea...

I have to try another manipulation on my server: I want to remove the memory fan duct (I only have one CPU), and test if the fan speed is better, and see the temperature.

I let you know the result in one or two hours.
I McWilliams
Advisor

Sebastien,

It's good to see that this server is capable of running fan speeds of 16% and 23%.

If you get a chance could you upload a screenshot of your temperatures so we could compare where my server is running hotter?

Thanks for all your input so far,
Iain
Sebastien Rich

So, I do some "last tests" for having better temperature and fan running slower, without good results.

I try to remove the memory fan duct: the 6 GB of RAM (3 X 2GB) become to hot, but the rest of the server have 2 - 5├В┬░C lower temperature.

I try to remove the 6 "blue pieces for long cards" (sorry, I don't know the name in english) between the PCIX slots and the storage bay, and my storage bay is colder for 2 - 4├В┬░C. I let this so because I don't have big PCIX cards.

And the last things to have better temperature and air flow in the storage bay is to put all the cables at the end of the case, in the power of the storage bay area. That make 2 - 3├В┬░C better.

You find my print screen of temperature in attachment !

Good luck for fan and air flow optimisation !
I McWilliams
Advisor

I finally have some progress to report, our server can be silenced by simply removing the add-on network card from the system.

Th card in question is a "HP NC360T PCI Express Dual Port Gigabit Server Adapter", and when removed both the fans reduce in speed to 13% and the server is silent.

Webbtech_1

Hi All,

Well I should have removed the network card as soon as I noticed Iain's last posting.

I have exactly the same issue and will call HP Monday.

Iain, How did you solve the issue to be able to use HP certified NIC's in the machine with out creating excessive fan noise?

Thanks heaps.
I McWilliams
Advisor

Webtech,

I'm still running without extra NIC - call is still open with HP.

Last I heard (2 weeks ago) was the level 2 tech had been able to reproduce fault and was investigating.

Regards,
Iain
Lackb
Advisor

Hi,

i have allready opened a Call to HP.
Please tell me the Call Nr. then i inform HP about this Call.

Thank you

Best regards
Lackb
I McWilliams
Advisor

Hi,

Existing call is 4601833237

Regards,
Iain