Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disk Expansion using 5300 Smart Array

john_347
Regular Advisor

Disk Expansion using 5300 Smart Array

Hi all,

Have ML530 G1, running Windows 2000 SP4, using Installed Agents for Windows 2000/Server 2003 7.10.0.0
Array Configuration Utility 2.90.65.0
HP Array Configuration Utility 7.15.19.0

Have expanded the array, so have 135Gb of unallocated free space. Can I expand the 1st logical disk drive to give it all the free space.
Logical drive 1 configured as 36Mb Utilities, 10Gb C & 135Gb on Drive E. We want to expand drive E so we don't have to rebuild our Doc Stores.

When using the ACU it gives a warning to say you can't or shouldn't if using windows 2000, When using the web based ACU 7.15 it gives no warning.. Its important I get this right or my projects are going down the pan !!!!!!.

Regards to all

JC
5 REPLIES
raadek
Honored Contributor

Re: Disk Expansion using 5300 Smart Array

You can do that using diskpart command (I mean AFTER expanding underlying LUN):
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/maintain/optimize/diskpart.mspx

Rgds.
Don't panic! [THGTTG]
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

John:

Some others have had success in extending a partition that was on the same logical drive as the OS, but NOT the OS/System partition. When I have tried (I think once), I could not get it to work and have not had the time to rebuild a test machine and try again...but there could have been other circumstances as to why it did not work for me as I was in a rush and just playing around quickly so I might have over looked something.

According to the support page...

" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325590/en-us "

...it should work as long as you do not have your swap file on the E: drive.

The warning you get is for users of Windows 2000 SP2 and Earlier (or maybe SP3). Since you are at SP4, you are ok. It is ok to extend the Logical Drive in ACU. Once complete, you can/should be able to use Diskpart to extend the partition.

Diskpart for Windows 2000 can be found hin the Resource Kit for Windows 2000 or here...

" http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0fd9788a-5d64-4f57-949f-ef62de7ab1ae&DisplayLang=en "

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
john_347
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the reply..
I understand that I need to use Diskpart.exe (we like that because it doesn't cost). So does that mean I can expand the the logical drive using the acu without causing a problem, and if which one should i use?? version 2.90 or 7.15

regards

JC
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Yes. Use the later version, though it probably does not matter too much. Both are capable of the same things. One is a GUI and the other is a Web Interface.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
john_347
Regular Advisor

Thanks to all that took the time to respond. :-)